Joe Blanton has a May 15 opt-out in his minor league contract with the Royals.
Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors reports that Blanton has turned down offers from Asian clubs over the past few weeks and wants to return to MLB. The 34-year-old owns a 3.71 ERA and 20/7 K/BB ratio in 26 2/3 innings over four starts and one relief appearance with the Royals' Triple-A affiliate. He didn't pitch in the majors last year.
Christian Yelich (back) will likely be activated from the disabled list Friday.
The original timeline had him returning Thursday, but the Marlins want him to play another minor league rehab game. He's 1-for-5 with a walk and a stolen base over his first two games with High-A Jupiter. Yelich has been sidelined for two weeks with a herniated disk in his back.
CBS Sports' Jon Heyman writes that Rougned Odor is a candidate for a demotion.
It's unclear whether Heyman is just speculating or has inside information, but it wouldn't be surprising if the possibility is on the table. The 21-year-old has struggled to the tune of a .146/.263/.244 batting line across his first 25 games this season. He was rushed to the majors out of need last year, so some more seasoning in the minors might not be the worst thing for him.
The Padres acquired the rights of catcher Yenier Bello from the Joplin Blasters of the independent American Association.
The Braves signed Bello out of Cuba last year, but he was given his release this spring. The 30-year-old will provide some organizational depth behind the plate.
Jerry Sands has accepted his assignment to Triple-A Columbus.
Sands cleared waivers after being designated for assignment by the Indians last week. The 27-year-old will continue to provide outfield depth in the minors.
ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the Brewers are not willing to trade Jonathan Lucroy.
The Brewers look like obvious sellers at the moment, with names like Kyle Lohse and Matt Garza likely to be dealt. Lucroy would obviously net a bigger return than either of them, but the Brewers see him as a core player. The 28-year-old is making $3 million this season and $4 million next year while his contract includes a $5.25 million club option for 2017.
The Blue Jays are calling up Chris Colabello from Triple-A Buffalo on Tuesday, reports Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca.
The corresponding roster move isn't yet known. Colabello, 31, is batting .337 with five home runs and a .975 OPS over his first 23 games in Triple-A this season. He's capable of playing first base and the outfield.
Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said Monday that David Wright (hamstring) is not back to 100 percent yet.
Wright ramped up some baseball activities last week, but he's not running at 100 percent and the Mets won't have a clear timetable for his return until he does. "It’s just hard to say," said Alderson. "He could be a week away, could be 10 days away. Until he gets into a game situation and feels confident with the leg, we’re not going to know." There was some talk about him returning this weekend, but now it appears that the best-case scenario is sometime next week. Daniel Murphy will continue to play third base during his absence while young Dilson Herrera will play second.