May Reliever RankingsMonday, May 05, 2014
Welcome to the May reliever rankings. As always, players are ranked based on how I believe they will perform in 5x5 scoring over the rest of the season. Included along with the position rankings is an updated top 300 list.
Click to see other May rankings:
Top 300 | SP | RP | OF | 1B | 2B | SS | 3B | C | DH
Editor's Note: Rotoworld's partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Monday night's MLB games. It's $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Monday. Here's the FanDuel link.
Follow us at @Rotoworld_BB and @matthewpouliot on Twitter.
Relief pitcher rankings
Dropping off (from top 60): Jim Henderson (21st), Bobby Parnell (22nd), J.J. Hoover (35th), Neftali Feliz (45th), Paco Rodriguez (55th), Brian Wilson (57th)
- Johnson’s 1 2/3 scoreless innings for a win Sunday against the Red Sox was another big step in the right direction for him. It’s a good bet that he’ll resume getting save chances this week.
- Frieri should be in a similar boat: he hasn’t allowed a hit or a walk in 4 2/3 innings since losing his gig in Anaheim. Joe Smith has done nothing wrong since replacing him, but the Angels would surely rather have Frieri closing out games if he’s gotten things turned around.
- The Mets say Farnsworth is still the closer for the moment, but Matsuzaka looks like the better option among the vets. He ranks highest here, coming in eight spots above Farnsworth. Germen also cracks the top 80 as the most interesting youngster in the Mets pen. There’s been some speculation about moving Jenrry Mejia back to the pen and perhaps seeing what he can do late in games, but I hope they don’t go that route.
- Following Santos’s implosion, Cecil rates as the favorite for saves in Toronto’s pen. Fortunately, Janssen’s return from an oblique strain might be just 10-14 days away.
- The rehabbing Joel Hanrahan picked the Tigers over teams that would have given him the chance to close following his return from Tommy John surgery, so he doesn’t crack the top 80 here.