Wrap-up: FontanaMonday, March 26, 2012
This past weekend, Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California hosted the Sprint Cup Series Auto Club 400 and the Nationwide Series Royal Purple 300.
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Winner: Tony Stewart wins the Auto Club 400, his 46th victory in 469 Sprint Cup Series races. This is the No. 14 Chevrolet driver's 2nd victory and 2nd top-10 finish in 2012. It is his 2nd victory in 21 races at Auto Club Speedway. The race was rain-shortened after 129 of the 200 scheduled laps were completed. Stewart moved up to 3rd in the 2012 NSCS point standings.
Pole: Denny Hamlin wins the $5,900 Coors Light Pole Award. The No. 11 Toyota driver clocked a 186.403 mph qualifying lap. He led two laps and finished 11th. He is currently 7th in the point standings.
- Kyle Busch won the $5,400 3M Lap Leader award for leading the most laps (80 of 129 laps). He is currently 14th in the point standings.
- Kyle Busch won the $5,000 American Ethanol Green Flag Restart award for recording the fastest average speed on restarts and finishing the race on the lead lap. Busch started the No. 18 Toyota 2nd in the lineup and finished 2nd.
- Toyota Racing Development won the $5,000 Mahle Clevite Engine Builder of the Race award (No. 18).
- Kyle Busch’s crew chief, Dave Rogers, won the $5,000 DIRECTV Crew Chief of the Race Award.
- Nicholas Harrison, crew chief on the No. 51 driven by Kurt Busch wins the $5,500 Moog Problem Solver of the Race award. The award goes to the crew chief that improves the most from first half of the race to the second half (0.069 seconds). Busch started the race in 23rd and finished in 9th.
- Kurt Busch won the $5,000 USG Improving the Finish Award (started 23rd and finished 9th). The No. 51 Chevrolet driver moved up four spots to 23rd in the points.
- Tony Stewart wins the $5,000 Mobil 1 Command Performance Driver of the Race award given to the winner of the race or the next-highest finishing driver displaying the Mobil 1 decal. The driver of the No. 14 moved up three spots to 3rd in the point standings.
NSCS Points Leader: Greg Biffle leads the point standings by 7 points over Kevin Harvick.
NSCS Top 12:
1 Greg Biffle
2 Kevin Harvick
3 Dale Earnhardt Jr.
4 Tony Stewart
5 Martin Truex Jr.
6 Matt Kenseth
7 Denny Hamlin
8 Clint Bowyer
9 Jimmie Johnson
10 Ryan Newman
11 Paul Menard
12 Carl Edwards
Next NSCS Race: Goody’s Fast Relief 500 on April 1st at Martinsville Speedway
- - - - - -
NASCAR Nationwide Series Winner: Joey Logano wins the Royal Purple 300, his 10th victory in 92 NASCAR NNS races. He started the No. 18 Toyota on the pole and led the most laps (92 of 150). This is his first victory and third top-10 finish in 2012. It is his second victory and seventh top-10 finish in seven races at Auto Club Speedway. This is Joe Gibbs Racing's eighth consecutive victory in the series at ACS. Logano, a Sprint Cup regular (No. 20), is not eligible for driver points in this series.
Pole: Joey Logano received a $3,400 check for winning the Coors Light Pole Award at Bristol. He put up a 178.984 mph lap in the No. 18 Toyota to start up front. He led 92 and was the race winner.
Rookie of the Race: Austin Dillon, the No. 3 Chevrolet driver, started 4th and finished 9th. This was ahead of the rest of the 2012 Rookie of the Year contenders. Dillon is 3rd in the 2012 NNS point standings.
- Austin Dillon won the $2,000 Mobil 1 Driver of the Race award.
- Brian Scott makes the most improvement in the series since his 4th place finish was 31 places better than his last NNS finish. This earned the No. 11 driver a $2,600 check and the Featherlite “Most Improved Driver” award. Scott is 16th in the standings.
- Joey Logano won the $2,200 3M Lap Leader award for leading the most laps (92 of 150).
- Mark Cronquist, crew chief on Logano’s No. 18 Toyota, won the $2,100 Mahle Clevite Engine Builder of the Race award.
NNS Points Leader: Elliott Sadler leads the point standings by 18 points over Ricky Stenhouse Jr.
NNS Top 10:
1 Elliott Sadler
2 Ricky Stenhouse Jr.
3 Austin Dillon
4 Trevor Bayne
5 Sam Hornish Jr.
6 Cole Whitt
7 Michael Annett
8 Tayler Malsam
9 Justin Allgaier
10 Mike Bliss
Next NNS Race: O'Reilly Auto Parts 300, April 13th at Texas Motor Speedway