Wrap-up: Auto Club SpeedwaySunday, March 24, 2013
This past weekend, Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California, hosted the Sprint Cup Auto Club 400 and the Nationwide Series Royal Purple 300. The Camping World Truck Series will return to action on Saturday, April 6, at Martinsville Speedway.
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
Time Trials: Denny Hamlin won the Coors Light Pole Award for the 17th Annual Auto Club 400 with a lap of 38.410 seconds, 187.451 mph. This is the No. 11 Toyota driver’s 13th pole in 264 NSCS races. It is his first pole and fourth top-10 start in 2013. This is Hamlin's third pole in 13 races at Auto Club Speedway. Hamlin won the pole for last year's Auto Club Speedway event. In this week’s race, he was running second, racing for the lead with race-leader Joey Logano (No. 22) on the last lap when they got together. Hamlin crashed into the wall and was credited with a 25th place finish.
Did Not Qualify: No one, only 43 teams entered.
Race Winner: Kyle Busch won the 17th Annual Auto Club 400, his 25th victory in 298 NSCS races. This is the No. 18 Toyota driver's first victory and third top-10 finish in 2013 breaking a 31-race winless streak in this series. This is his second victory and 11th top-10 finish in 16 races at Auto Club Speedway. This is Busch's 9th weekend sweep, having also won Saturday's Royal Purple 300.
Rookie of the Race: Ricky Stenhouse Jr., the No. 17 Ford Fusion driver, started 28th. He was named the "Rookie of the Race" since his 20th place finish was better than the other ROTY contenders in the event.
- Kyle Busch won the 3M Lap Leader Award for leading the most laps (125 of 200).
- Toyota Racing Development won the Mahle Clevite Engine Builder of the Race award. They supplied the engine in Kyle Busch’s car.
- Busch also won the American Ethanol Green Flag Restart award for recording the fastest average speed on restarts and finishing the race on the lead lap.
- Matt Borland, crew chief on Ryan Newman’s No. 39 Chevrolet, won the Moog Problem Solver of the Race award. The award goes to the crew chief that improves the most (0.354 seconds) from first half of the race to the second half utilizing the 40 best lap times. Newman started the race in 20th and finished 10th.
- Kyle Busch won the Mobil 1 Command Performance Driver of the Race award given to the winner of the race or the next-highest finishing driver displaying the Mobil 1 decal.
Points Leader: Dale Earnhardt Jr. leads the point standings by 12 points over Brad Keselowski.
NSCS Top 12 (G/L):
1. Dale Earnhardt Jr. (+1)
2. Brad Keselowski (-1)
3. Jimmie Johnson (0)
4. Carl Edwards (+4)
5. Greg Biffle (0)
6. Kyle Busch (+4)
7. Kasey Kahne (0)
8. Paul Menard (+1)
9. Joey Logano (+3)
10. Denny Hamlin (-4)
11. Matt Kenseth (+2)
12. Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (-1)
Next NSCS Race: STP Gas Booster 400, April 7 at Martinsville Speedway.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NASCAR Nationwide Series
Time Trials: Sprint Cup driver Kyle Busch won the Coors Light Pole Award for the 15th Annual Royal Purple 300 with a lap of 40.312 seconds, 178.607 mph. This is the No. 54 Toyota driver's 28th pole in 249 NNS races. It is his second pole and third top-10 NNS start in 2013. This is Busch's third pole in 15 NNS races at Auto Club Speedway.
Did Not Qualify: No. 70 Tony Raines and No. 46 Chase Miller.
Race Winner: Sprint Cup driver Kyle Busch won the 15th Annual Royal Purple 300, his 54th victory in 249 NNS races. Today's victory is the record-extending ninth for Joe Gibbs Racing at Auto Club Speedway. This is the No. 54 Toyota driver's third victory and fourth top-10 finish in 2013. It is his sixth victory in 15 NNS races at Auto Club Speedway. Three of those wins -including today's - came from the Coors Light Pole. He is ineligible for driver points in this series.
Rookie of the Race: Kyle Larson, the No. 32 Chevrolet driver, started ninth and finished sixth. This was ahead of the rest of the 2013 Rookie of the Year contenders earning him the Sunoco Rookie of the Race award.
- Parker Kligerman won the Mobil 1 Driver of the Race award given to the winner of the race or the next-highest finishing driver displaying the Mobil 1 decal. The driver of the No. 77 Toyota Camry earned the award for his fourth place finish.
- Kyle Busch led the most laps earning the 3M Lap Leader award. The No. 54 Toyota Camry driver started on the pole; led 93 of the 150 laps run and won the race.
- Joe Gibbs Racing Engines won the Mahle Clevite Engine Builder of the Race award. They built the engine in Busch’s Toyota.
Points Leader: Sam Hornish Jr. leads the point standings by 28 points over Regan Smith.
NNS Top 10 (G/L):
1. Sam Hornish Jr. (0)
2. Regan Smith (+2)
3. Brian Scott (0)
4. Justin Allgaier (-2)
5. Austin Dillon (+1)
6. Trevor Bayne (+1)
7. Kyle Larson (+2)
8. Parker Kligerman (+3)
9. Elliott Sadler (+1)
10. Alex Bowman (-2)
Next NNS Race: O'Reilly Auto Parts 300, Friday, April 12, at Texas Motor Speedway.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NASCAR Camping World Truck Series:
Points Leader: Johnny Sauter leads the standings by 6 points over Ron Hornaday.
Next NCWTS Race: Kroger 250, Saturday, April 6, at Martinsville Speedway.