Wrap-up: Pocono, Iowa, TexasSunday, June 09, 2013
This past Friday, Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth, Texas hosted the Camping World Truck Series WinStar World Casino 400K. The Nationwide Series DuPont Pioneer 250, which was postponed due to rain on Saturday, was held on Sunday at the Iowa Speedway in Newton, Iowa. Also on Sunday, Pocono Raceway in Long Pond, Pennsylvania was the site of the Sprint Cup Party in the Poconos 400.
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
Time Trials: Qualifying was cancelled due to weather conditions. Usually, the first practice speeds determine the lineup when this happens. Since the first practice was also washed out, the lineup of the 43 drivers was set by owners points and then by owner attempts. Jimmie Johnson and the No. 48 Chevrolet SS started up front on Sunday. Johnson led the most laps and won the race.
Did Not Qualify: No. one, only 43 teams entered.
Race Winner: Jimmie Johnson won the 32nd Annual Party in the Poconos 400 Presented by Walmart, his 63rd victory in 413 NSCS races. This is the No. 48 Chevrolet SS driver's third victory and ninth top-10 finish in 2013. Johnson has now won three or more races in 11 of his 12 full-time seasons. This is his third victory and 16th top-10 finish in 23 races at Pocono Raceway. Johnson led 128 laps, the highest single-race total of his Pocono career (23 starts).
Rookie of the Race: Ricky Stenhouse Jr., the No. 17 Ford Fusion driver, started 16th and finished 26th. He was named the "Rookie of the Race" since his finish was best of the ROTY contenders in the event. Stenhouse is currently 20th in the 2013 point standings.
- Jimmie Johnson won the 3M Lap Leader Award for leading the most laps (128 of 160).
- Johnson also won the Duralast Brake in the Race award given to the highest eligible driver in the running order at the time of the first caution of each race.
- Hendrick Engines won the Mahle Clevite Engine Builder of the Race award. They supplied the engine in Johnson’s No. 48 Chevrolet.
- Johnson also won the American Ethanol Green Flag Restart award for recording the fastest average speed on restarts and finishing the race on the lead lap.
- Todd Gordon, crew chief on the No. 22 Ford Fusion driven by Joey Logano, won the Moog Problem Solver of the Race award. The award goes to the crew chief that improves the most from first half of the race to the second half utilizing the 40 best lap times (improved 0.528 seconds). Logano started the race in 21st place, finished in 10th and is currently 16th in standings.
- Tony Stewart won the Mobil 1 Command Performance Driver of the Race award given to the winner of the race or the next-highest finishing driver displaying the Mobil 1 decal. He earned the award for his fourth place finish. The driver of the No. 14 Chevrolet moved up three spots to 13th in the 2013 Sprint Cup point standings.
- Martin Truex Jr. won the Sherwin-Williams Fastest Lap award given to the driver displaying the Sherwin-Williams decal who clocks the fastest lap of the race. The No. 56 Toyota driver finished in 23rd place and is 17th in the point standings.
Points Leader: Jimmie Johnson leads the point standings by 51 points over Carl Edwards.
NSCS Top 12 (G/L):
1. Jimmie Johnson 0
2. Carl Edwards 0
3. Clint Bowyer 0
4. Dale Earnhardt Jr. +2
5. Kevin Harvick 0
6. Matt Kenseth -2
7. Kyle Busch +1
8. Kasey Kahne -1
9. Brad Keselowski +1
10. Greg Biffle +3
11. Jeff Gordon 0
12. Paul Menard -3
Next NSCS Race: Quicken Loans 400, Sunday, June 16, 2013 at Michigan International Speedway.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NASCAR Nationwide Series
Time Trials: Austin Dillon won the Coors Light Pole Award for the 3rd Annual DuPont Pioneer 250 with a lap of 23.037 seconds, 136.737 mph. This is the No. 3 Chevrolet Camaro driver's sixth pole in 56 NNS races. It is his third pole and 11th top-10 start in 2013. This is Dillon's first pole in five races at Iowa Speedway. He led the most laps (208 of 250) and finished the race in second place.
Did Not Qualify: No. 89 Morgan Shepherd.
Race Winner: Trevor Bayne won the 3rd Annual DuPont Pioneer 250, his second victory in 97 NNS races. This is the No. 6 Ford Mustang driver's first victory and sixth top-10 finish in 2013. It is his first win and second top-10 finish in four races at Iowa Speedway.
Rookie of the Race: Kyle Larson, the No. 32 Chevrolet Camaro driver, started 10th and finished fifth. This was ahead of the rest of the 2013 Rookie of the Year contenders earning him the Sunoco Rookie of the Race award.
- Austin Dillon won the Mobil 1 Driver of the Race award given to the winner of the race or the next-highest finishing driver displaying the Mobil 1 decal.
- Dillon also led the most laps (208 of 250) winning the 3M Lap Leader award.
- Earnhardt Childress Racing Engines won the Mahle Clevite Engine Builder of the Race award. They built the engine in Dillon’s No. 3 Chevrolet.
Points Leader: Regan Smith leads the point standings by 23 points over Sam Hornish Jr.
NNS Top 10 (G/L):
1. Regan Smith 0
2. Sam Hornish Jr. 0
3. Justin Allgaier +1
4. Austin Dillon +1
5. Elliott Sadler +2
6. Parker Kligerman 0
7. Brian Vickers -4
8. Brian Scott 0
9. Trevor Bayne +1
10. Kyle Larson -1
Next NNS Race: Alliance Truck Parts 250, Saturday, June 15, 2013 at Michigan International Speedway.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NASCAR Camping World Truck Series
Time Trials: Johnny Sauter won the Keystone Light Pole Award for the 17th Annual WinStar World Casino 400 with a lap of 29.963 seconds, 180.222 mph. This is the No. 98 Toyota Tundra driver's fifth pole in 115 NCWTS races. This is his first pole and fourth top-10 start in 2013. This is Sauter's second pole in ten races at Texas Motor Speedway. He led 11 laps and finished the race in seventh place.
Did Not Qualify: No one, only 32 teams entered this week.
Race Winner: Jeb Burton won the 17th Annual WinStar World Casino 400, his first victory in 12 NCWTS races. This is the No. 4 Chevrolet Silverado driver's fifth top-10 finish in 2013. It is his first top-10 finish in his only start at Texas Motor Speedway. Earlier on Friday, Burton was recognized as a member of the NASCAR Next class of 2013.
Rookie of the Race: Jeb Burton won the Sunoco Rookie of the Race award since his finish (the win) was better than the rest of the 2013 ROTY contenders.
- Jeb Burton won the Mobil 1 Driver of the Race award. It is given to the winner of the race or the next-highest finishing driver displaying the Mobil 1 decal.
- Earnhardt-Childress Racing Engines won the Mahle Clevite Engine Builder of the Race award. The award is determined by qualifying and finishing position of the truck. They supplied the engine in Ty Dillon’s No. 3 Chevrolet Silverado (started second, finished second).
Points Leader: Matt Crafton leads the standings by 23 points over Jeb Burton.
NCWTS Top 10 (G/L): (No change in the order this week)
1. Matt Crafton 0
2. Jeb Burton 0
3. Brendan Gaughan 0
4. Johnny Sauter 0
5. Ryan Blaney 0
6. James Buescher 0
7. Ty Dillon 0
8. Darrell Wallace Jr. 0
9. Miguel Paludo 0
10. Dakoda Armstrong 0
Next NCWTS Race: UNOH 225, Thursday, June 26, 2013 at Kentucky Speedway.