Latest Headlines

ESPN New York expects the Mets to release Frank Francisco (elbow) before he's activated from the disabled list.

Francisco has been out all season with elbow problems and is currently on a rehab assignment with Double-A Binghamton. Even though he finally appears close to making a return, the Mets seem determined to cut him loose rather than let him reestablish his value during the final month of the season. Francisco is making $6.5 million in the second year of two-year, $12 million deal.
Sat, Aug 31, 2013 12:53:00 PM

Major league sources told MLB Daily Dish that if the Nationals trade Ryan Zimmerman or Doug Fister, it could open up room to sign Max Scherzer.

Earlier on Thursday, it was reported by Bob Nightengale of USA Today that the Nationals were looking to move Doug Fister. Ryan Zimmerman also told the Washington Post that he had not had discussions about a contract extension with the team. Should either Fister or Zimmerman (or both) be shipped out of town, it's possible that it would free up room for the Nationals to target Max Scherzer. Scherzer's most likely landing place is probably back with the Tigers, while the Yankees have also been mentioned, though only as lurkers. For now.
Nov 20 - 5:09 PM

According to CBS Sports' Jon Heyman, the Braves are a dark horse in the Yasmany Tomas sweepstakes.

Tomas is scheduled to attend MLB's Winter Meetings (December 7-11) in San Diego, so he probably won't sign before then. The Phillies, Padres, and Giants have been linked most frequently to the 23-year-old Cuban defector, but Atlanta could be ready to pounce if the price tag falls into a range that they're comfortable with. Initial reports had Tomas seeking a $100 million contract, but that number seems to be dropping.
Source: CBS Sports
Nov 20 - 2:26 PM

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Blue Jays are among the teams pursuing Torii Hunter.

The Royals, Twins, Cubs, Rangers, Giants, and Mariners have also been linked to the 39-year-old free agent outfielder. Hunter showed in 2014 that he is not quite finished, batting .286/.319/.446 with 17 home runs and 83 RBI in 142 games for the Tigers. It sure sounds like he's going to be able to command a multi-year deal.
Nov 20 - 12:47 PM

Doug Fister "is available if a deal makes sense," according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today.

Fister is scheduled to become a free agent after the 2015 season, so the Nats are dangling him on the trade market in the event that they're presented with an attractive return package. They're doing the same with Jordan Zimmermann, who is also entering his contract year. Fister, 30, posted a stellar 2.41 ERA and 1.08 WHIP in 164 innings this past season for Washington.
Nov 20 - 12:25 PM

According to USA Today's Bob Nightengale, the Nationals are informing teams that Jordan Zimmermann is available.

But it's going to require a "strong return" to pluck him away, adds Nightengale. Zimmermann had a career year in 2014 at age 28, posting a superb 2.66 ERA, 1.07 WHIP, and 182/29 K/BB ratio across 199 2/3 innings. He also threw a no-hitter on the final day of the regular season. The right-hander is owed $16.5 million in 2015 and can then become a free agent. The Nats obviously feel they won't be able to lock him up long term.
Nov 20 - 12:08 PM

Jayson Stark of ESPN confirms that the Braves are meeting Thursday with free agent left-hander Jon Lester.

"Is it a long shot? Yeah, it's a long shot," acknowledged Braves president of baseball operations John Hart. "(But) we're keeping all the doors open." Lester reportedly received a six-year offer worth around $110-120 million earlier this week from the Red Sox, and he's also said to be drawing interest from the Cubs and Cardinals. The 30-year-old registered a 2.46 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, and 220/48 K/BB ratio in 219 2/3 innings this past season between Boston and Oakland.
Nov 20 - 10:39 AM

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the White Sox are interested in free agent Melky Cabrera.

Heyman also names the Orioles and Mariners as potential fits for the 30-year-old outfielder, who batted .301/.351/.458 with 16 home runs and 73 RBI in 139 games this past season for the Blue Jays. He rejected a one-year, $15.3 million qualifying offer from Toronto earlier this month, so his free agency is tied to draft pick compensation. The Jays are probably out of the mix to re-sign Cabrera because they spent $82 million on catcher Russell Martin.
Source: CBS Sports
Nov 20 - 10:13 AM

According to MASN's Roch Kubatko, free agent Delmon Young is seeking a two-year deal.

Which makes it unlikely that he re-signs with the Orioles (unless, of course, his asking price drops). Young batted .302/.337/.442 with seven home runs and 30 RBI in 83 games this past season for Baltimore. The 29-year-old isn't a very good defensive outfielder, so he'll likely remain in the American League where he can DH.
Source: MASN
Nov 20 - 9:46 AM

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe said the Blue Jays are expected to make an offer to free agent Pablo Sandoval by Thursday.

To this point the heavy interest in Sandoval has been limited to the Giants and Red Sox, so it will be interesting to see what the emergence of the Jays does to the process. FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal notes that the Jays have a strict policy that limits them to a maximum of five years on free agent deals, meaning the club could be forced to overpay for Sandoval's services. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports said Sandoval will get at least five years from whichever team he signs with.
Nov 19 - 9:56 PM

A source tells Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald that the Marlins have made a two-year, $20 million offer to free agent Adam LaRoche.

The Marlins' interest in LaRoche has been no secret -- he appears to be their top priority after they extended Giancarlo Stanton, and the backloaded nature of Stanton's extension has given the team the flexibility to pursue players to put around him. The 35-year-old's market has yet to develop beyond the Marlins, so it's unclear how open he might be to accepting a deal like the one he's reportedly been offered.
Source: Miami Herald
Nov 19 - 7:57 PM

Dan Haren told Mark Saxon of ESPN on Wednesday that he won't pitch outside of Los Angeles.

In other words, he'll retire if the Dodgers trade him this winter (to a team other than the Angels). "My signing with the Dodgers last year and my decision to exercise my player option were based on my desire to play in Southern California near my family," Haren told ESPN in an email. "I had other opportunities but at this point in my career I have no interest in playing in a city away from my family."
Nov 19 - 4:50 PM




Highest Searched Players over the last 7 days


Video Center

  •  
    Levitan: Week 12 Tough Calls

    Levitan: Week 12 Tough Calls
  •  
    Beer

    Beer's NFL 6 Pack - QB & RB
  •  
    RotoPat: Week 12 Rankings

    RotoPat: Week 12 Rankings
  •  
    Thursday

    Thursday's Fantasy Minute
  •  
    Week 12 Drop Options

    Week 12 Drop Options
  •  
    Levitan: Playoff Handcuffs

    Levitan: Playoff Handcuffs
  •  
    Wednesday

    Wednesday's Fantasy Minute
  •  
    Levitan: Week 12 Waiver Wire

    Levitan: Week 12 Waiver Wire