The Pirates have fired third base coach Rick Sofield and re-assigned first base coach Nick Leyva.
The club wasn't happy with their baserunning this season and Sofield was the baserunning and outfield coach. He had been on manager Clint Hurdle's staff for four seasons. Leyva will now serve as the Pirates' senior advisor of baseball operations.
Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News reports that the Mets are expected to pick up Jose Reyes' option for 2017.
When the Mets signed Reyes to a minor league deal in June following his release by the Rockies, they had an option for 2017 at the veteran minimum $507,500 included in the deal. The Rockies are still responsible for the $41 million the infielder is owed over the next three years. Reyes batted .267/.326/.443 with eight homers and nine steals over 60 games for the Mets. He would offer protection at third base for David Wright (neck) next season.
Kyle Schwarber (knee) went 0-for-3 with a walk in his first Arizona Fall League game on Saturday.
Most importantly, Schwarber said that his surgically-repaired left knee felt fine. "It was overall a really great day for me," Schwarber said. "The first two (at-bats) I chased a little bit. Today was about the at-bats. Running was not a factor." The Cubs aren't ruling out using Schwarber as their designated hitter and pinch-hitter in the World Series, as the 23-year-old has progressed more quickly than expected.
Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that the Red Sox are "seriously thinking about" picking up Clay Buchholz's $13.5 million option for 2017.
Buchholz has been frustratingly inconsistent and has often dealt with injuries, finishing 2016 with a 4.78 ERA. However, Heyman notes that in a weak free agent pitching market it wouldn't be a surprise if Buchholz could land a multi-year contract. The Red Sox might see spending $13.5 million for one year in order to retain some solid rotation depth as a worthy move. Buchholz, who turned 32 back in August, would be owed a $500,000 buyout if the option was declined.
Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that while the Dodgers "love" impending free agent Justin Turner, they could let him walk if another team bids big on him.
Heyman says that the Dodgers "are very cognizant of age generally" and if another team blows Turner away with an offer, "it’s no certainty they’ll match it." Turner, who will turn 32 in a month, hit an excellent .296/.364/.492 in his three years in Los Angeles and slugged a career-high 27 home runs in 2016. The Dodgers will extend him a qualifying offer, so they'll recoup a draft pick if they lose him.