MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez reports that the Red Sox are "on track" to complete a six-year, $72 million contract with Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo.
It will be a record-setting deal, topping Jose Abreu's six-year, $68 million pact from last offseason. The Red Sox appear to have outbid the Tigers, among others, for Castillo's services. Although the 27-year-old has reportedly professed a desire to play in the majors this season, the out-of-contention Red Sox have no reason to rush him. Castillo has great speed and some power, making his ceiling in fantasy leagues pretty high.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy said Thursday that Ehire Adrianza (hamstring) won't return until late September.
Depending on where the Giants are in the playoff hunt at that point, it would seem to be possible that he won't return at all. Adrianza missed three weeks earlier this season with a right hamstring strain and then aggravated the injury in late July, so the Giants are taking things slowly with him.
Giants optioned RHP George Kontos to Triple-A Fresno.
He was up as the 26th man during Thursday's abbreviated doubleheader but didn't make an appearance. Kontos will return when rosters expand.
David Phelps (elbow) played catch again on Thursday.
It's not clear when he might be cleared for mound work, but Phelps' elbow has felt fine during flat-ground sessions. The Yankees are considering bringing the right-hander back as a reliever next month.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that he'll have a clearer picture on Carlos Beltran's (elbow) status Saturday.
They'll know at that point whether the cortisone injection Beltran received in his right elbow had the desired effect. If it didn't, Beltran could be placed on the disabled list. The 37-year-old has been limited to 90 games this season and will undergo surgery this offseason to remove a bone spur from his elbow.