CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that Jorge De La Rosa has been claimed and blocked on revocable waivers.
It's not clear who made the waiver claim or when it happened, but Heyman says "it was long enough ago that he is now considered blocked." De La Rosa would have been a solid get for a contender, as he holds a solid 4.19 ERA this season despite pitching half his games at Coors Field and boasts a 3.23 mark since the beginning of July. The left-hander will be a free agent this winter and Heyman says the Rockies will make him a qualifying offer if they're not able to lock him up on a long-term deal.
CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that both the Orioles and Nelson Cruz "have expressed an interest" in a contract extension.
Heyman cautions that "there's no definitive immediate word of any early negotiations," but it does appear the two sides are interested "in continuing the marriage, if possible." The report also adds that the O's will extend Cruz a qualifying offer this offseason if they're unable to lock him up on a long-term deal. After having to settle for a one-year, $8 million deal in late February, Cruz has gone on to hit a career-high 34 homers so far for Baltimore, a total that leads all of baseball.
FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager Bo Porter are "at odds."
Rosenthal says Porter vented his frustration with Luhnow to owner Jim Crane in a conversation earlier this month. Porter is upset reportedly due to a "lack of input" in the organization and also believes Luhnow "engages in excessive second-guessing of his in-game management." The skipper was also angered last month when top prospect Mark Appel was allowed to throw a bullpen session at Minute Maid Park last month without Porter first being notified. Rosenthal concludes his report stating that it's "difficult to imagine the Astros starting the 2015 season with the same management team."
Joe Thatcher (ankle) recently tried to throw off a mound but said "it didn’t go well."
Despite the setback, the veteran left-hander is still hoping to return in mid-September. He's been out since early August with a sprained left ankle. "My arm is in shape," he said, "so as soon as my ankle is ready, I’ll be ready to go. There’s no build-up process."
Michael Saunders (oblique) is still battling a viral infection.
The infection caused Saunders to be pulled off his rehab assignment last weekend. It doesn't sound like he'll be ready for activation when rosters expand on September 1. Saunders has been out since mid-July. "I know he’s lost 7 or 8 pounds," Mariners manager Lloyd McClendon said. "We just need to get him back out there. I would imagine so."