Player Page

Marcos Alonso | Defensemen | #3

Team: Chelsea
Age / DOB:  (27) / 12/28/1990
Ht / Wt:  6'2" / 185

Latest News

Recent News

Marcos Alonso will not feature at the World Cup finals after he was axed from Spain’s World Cup squad.
The Chelsea defender had been widely tipped to be included in the group travelling to Russia after another solid season at Stamford Bridge, but Alonso was one of four Chelsea players to be snubbed by Julen Lopetegui. The Spain coach instead elected to take Arsenal full-back Monreal: "Nacho has come with us many times," he said during Mondays press conference. "We know him well and we are convinced he will help us." There was no place for Alvaro Morata either who had been a regular up until March, but injury and a lack of form ultimately cost the former Real Madrid striker despite his five-goals during the qualification campaign: "It's not easy and the doubt always exists. In the case of Morata, he's had a complex season but he could have come. He hasn't because another player has convinced us more." Cesc Fabregas and Pedro Rodriguez complete the Chelsea contingent missing out this summer. May 21 - 4:04 PM
Source: Eurosport

Highest Searched Players over the last 7 days


Player News

Date:

Chelsea's hopes of a Top Four finish were dealt a serious blow after drawing 1-1 with Huddersfield Town on Wednesday.

In what could prove to be Antonio Conte's final match in charge at Stamford Bridge, his side dominated possession but were guilty of quality missed chances. Antonio Rudiger fired over from point-blank in the 13th minute, while Morata rounded Lossl but couldn't finish from a tight angle. Huddersfield took the lead through Laurent Depoitre in the 50th minute, but Chelsea equalized in the 62nd when a Town clearance smashed Alonso in the face and fly into the net. Despite a potent press late on, Jonas Lossl was on hand to deny Andreas Christensen's close-range header off the post late in the match. The result means Chelsea must now win away at Newcastle on Sunday and hope for Liverpool to lose at Brighton in order to qualify for the Champions League.
Source: NBC Sports
May 9 - 5:45 PM

Marcos Alonso will miss the FA Cup semi-final against Southampton on Sunday after being handed a three-match retroactive ban for violent conduct.

The incident occurred in the first-half of Chelsea's 3-2 Premier League win at Southampton on Saturday when TV footage showed Alonso catching Shane Long with his studs up. The 27-year-old denied the charge and further said that if proven guilty the suspension would excessive, but his appeal was rejected following an independent commission hearing on Wednesday. In his absence against Burnley on Thursday, Emerson was handed his first PL start. Alonso will be eligible to return on May 6 against Liverpool, meaning he will miss Sunday's FA Cup semi-final clash with Southampton and trip to Swansea City next weekend.
Source: Sky Sports
Apr 19 - 7:01 PM

Chelsea may have to do without its star fullback in Marcos Alonso if he is proven guilty of violent conduct.

The FA has officially issued the Spaniard with a charge of violent conduct after reviewing a late challenge from behind on Shane Long in Chelsea's 3-2 comeback win on Saturday over Southampton. If found guilty, Alonso would miss at least three games and potentially more depending on whether the committee finds his actions worthy of a more serious punishment. Southampton manager Mark Hughes took offense to the challenge, calling it reckless: "Shane's got a gash down the calf, having seen it again there's a clear red card. There's clear intent to hurt Shane, it was raked down the back of the calf. It's a dangerous tackle and could have broken his leg, in my view, and how the three officials who were near it all missed it was a mystery to me."
Source: Sky Sports
Apr 17 - 1:57 PM

Chelsea wing-back Marcos Alonso has been handed his maiden international call-up by Spain for their upcoming friendlies against Germany and Argentina.

Having impressed since his arrival at Stamford Bridge in the summer of 2016, Alonso has finally won his first call-up to Spain's senior squad. The 27-year-old was a vital member of Antonio Conte's side that won the Premier League title last season, and the left-side defender has played in every single league match so far this term. From 58 Premier League appearances, Alonso has scored 12 goals from 33 shots on target. On both counts, that is the highest number by a defender since the start of last season. Chelsea team-mate Cesar Azpilicueta has also been named in Spain manager Julen Lopetegui's 24-man squad. However, striker Alvaro Morata has been left out.
Mar 19 - 1:26 PM

Chelsea are out of the Champions League after suffering a 3-0 defeat against Barcelona at the Nou Camp on Wednesday.

Following a 1-1 draw in the first leg, Antonio Conte's side got off to the worst start possible. The visitors fell behind after just two minutes as Lionel Messi fired through the legs of Thibaut Courtois from a tight angle. The Argentine then set up Ousmane Dembele to rifle home 17 minutes later after Fabregas gave the ball away at midfield. N'Golo Kante dragged a shot wide and Marcos Alsonso struck the woodwork from a set-piece just before the break. However, after a mistake by Azpilicueta, Messi again fired through Courtois' legs on 63 minutes. Rudiger headed off the bar in the final minutes, but by then the damage was done. The Blues now turn their attention to Sunday's match against Leicester City in the FA Cup quarter-final.
Mar 14 - 6:51 PM

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte confirmed that defender Marcos Alonso is fit to face Barcelona on Tuesday.

The Spanish international has missed the last two Premier League games after suffering a hamstring injury followed by an ankle problem in training. But Alonso has been cleared to return to face Barcelona in the first leg of the round of 16, a match the former Real Madrid academy product is sure to relish. However, Chelsea midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko is unlikely to face the defending Champions League winners. "Yes, he will be fit," Conte said in a prematch press conference. "I don’t think Bakayoko. Alonso is ready to play."
Feb 20 - 2:08 AM

Antonio Conte confirmed Marcos Alonso missed the 3-0 win over West Brom on Monday as a result of an ankle injury.

The Spaniard had been expected to return against West Brom after he missed the defeat at Watford with a hamstring injury. However, Alonso suffered a fresh injury blow in training on Saturday and was unable to recover in time for the visit of the Baggies. "Alonso on Saturday trainings he twisted his ankle," Conte revealed prior to the match. "He has this injury and for this reason today he's not playing." His absence saw Davide Zappacosta deputizing at left wing-back for the second consecutive match, while January signing Emerson Palmieri was named to the bench. Fortunately for Chelsea, Alonso will have seven days to recover before facing Barcelona in the first leg of their round of 16 tie of the Champions League next Tuesday.
Source: Telegraph
Feb 13 - 2:39 PM

Wing-back Marcos Alonso's goal deep into first-half stoppage time was just enough for Chelsea to overcome Southampton 1-0 at Stamford Bridge.

It could have been a lot more comfortable for the defending champions had they been more clinical, however the goal from a long-range free-kick was all they had to show from a first half where they dominated. Fabregas and Pedro both went close in the second half whilst Hazard had the ball in the net but saw his effort disallowed for an offside in the build-up. Southampton now have not won in five attempts. Ahead of the game both managers made surprise omissions from their starting line-ups with Morata (who had been passed fit) on the bench whilst Hazard led the line flanked by Willian and Pedro whilst Van Dijk sat for the Saints.
Source: BBC Sport
Sat, Dec 16, 2017 12:04:00 PM

Wing-back Marcos Alonso's goal deep into first-half stoppage time was just enough for Chelsea to overcome Southampton 1-0 at Stamford Bridge.

It could have been a lot more comfortable for the defending champions had they been more clinical, however the goal from a long-range free-kick was all they had to show from a first half where they dominated. Fabregas and Pedro both went close in the second half whilst Hazard had the ball in the net but saw his effort disallowed for an offside in the build-up. Southampton now have not won in five attempts. Ahead of the game both managers made surprise omissions from their starting line-ups with Morata (who had been passed fit) on the bench whilst Hazard led the line flanked by Willian and Pedro whilst Van Dijk sat for the Saints.
Source: BBC Sport
Sat, Dec 16, 2017 12:04:00 PM

Chelsea got back on track after their opening slip up against Burnley by using a pair of Marcos Alonso goals to lead the way to a 1-2 win over London rivals Tottenham.

After a week of speculation regarding how Chelsea's future looked following the loss to the Clarets, they responded positively today, as Victor Moses returned to the XI from suspension, Alvaro Morata was preferred to Michy Batshuayi and Tiémoué Bakayoko made his debut. The headlines belong to Alonso though, who reminded us of how dangerous he is in the Blues attack. A foul om David Luiz midway through the first half set up a free kick for the left-footed Alonso, and he curled one over the wall and past a helpless Hugo Lloris to put Chelsea ahead. While Spurs had their moments, Chelsea were in control late into the match but Batshuayi, who came on as a substitute, directed a SPurs free kick into Chelsea's own goal. Alonso saved the day though with a run down the left after a pass from Pedro and he beat the keeper short side for the match-winner.
Source: NBC Sports
Sun, Aug 20, 2017 01:04:00 PM

Despite the absence of Diego Costa, Marcos Alonso struck twice as Chelsea defeated Leicester City 3-0 on Saturday.

Chelsea looked unfazed without their leading striker at Leicester City, as Marcos Alonso shined by scoring a pair of wonderful strikes while Pedro sealed all three points with a late header to give the Blues a seven-point lead over Tottenham in the table. Chelsea took control of the match early when Alonso broke the deadlock after six minutes and eased into half-time after an efficient 45 minutes. The Blues were even better following the restart and extended their lead when Alonso buried his second goal of the match in the 51st-minute, with Pedro adding a third in the 71st. All eyes at Chelsea will now swing back to the status of Diego Costa.
Source: NBC Sports
Sat, Jan 14, 2017 02:26:00 PM

The London Evening Standard believes that growing concerns over the fitness of Marcos Alonso were behind Antonio Conte’s decision to trigger a recall option on Nathan Ake.

The 21-year-old took time to find his feet on the south coast, but once Ake was handed his first Premier League start, the young defender did not look back. Following two substitute appearances in August, the Dutch Under-21 star had to wait almost three months for his chance and it was those eight games which convinced Conte that Ake was "ready to stay in the squad of Chelsea" and challenge for a regular slot in the revamped backline. However, the Standard believes there is more to it than that with Alonso struggling with an ongoing leg injury which has been getting steadily worse. The £23m summer arrival has started the last 14 league games but played just 65 minutes at White Hart Lane recently and was given last weekend off. Ake can play centrally, and more importantly, provide cover on the left if needed.
Wed, Jan 11, 2017 07:06:00 AM

Antonio Conte will check on Marcos Alonso ahead of Chelsea's trip to White Hart Lane on Wednesday after the defender suffered an ankle injury during Saturday's 4-2 win over Bournemouth.

While it's unclear when or how Alonso suffered the injury to his right ankle against Bournemouth, the defender posted a picture on his official Snapchat account that showed him receiving treatment after the match. Antonio Conte will check on the status of Alonso ahead of Wednesday's trip to White Hart Lane, which means a late fitness will likely determine his availability. Branislav Ivanovic and Kurt Zouma would be in contention to start should Alonso be ruled out.
Source: The Metro
Mon, Jan 2, 2017 06:45:00 PM

Chelsea has made its fourth signing of the summer with a deadline day move for Fiorentina defender Marcos Alonso.

With all the deadline day drama surrounding the return of Paris-Saint Germain defender David Luiz, Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has signed his first defender in Alonso to a five-year contract through the 2021 season in a £20 million deal. The versatile defender is no stranger to the Premier League, playing under Gus Poyet on loan at Sunderland in 2014. Said Alonso: "It was an easy decision for me to make when I heard the club were interested in signing me. My family and close friends know Chelsea is the club I have dreamed about playing for so I’m really excited about the challenge and I'm looking forward to working with my new team-mates."
Wed, Aug 31, 2016 12:44:00 PM