Player Page

Jose Fonte | Defensemen | #23

Team: West Ham United
Age / DOB:  (33) / 12/22/1983
Ht / Wt:  6'2" / 179

Latest News

Recent News

Following a pair of victories that saw West Ham United move into the top half of the table, the Hammers were thumped 4-0 by Manchester City at the London Stadium on Wednesday.
West Ham United failed to extend their recent good run of form on a night that saw Pep Guardiola's side run ramped in East London. Despite the full debut for new recruit Jose Fonte, the lone change Slaven Bilic made from the team that defeated Middlesbrough 3-1 last time out, the Hammers went down early and were unable to fight back. First half goals from Kevin De Bruyne, David Silva and Gabriel Jesus put the match out of reach, while Yaya Toure added a second half penalty after Fonte chopped down Raheem Sterling in the 67th-minute. The loss for West Ham drops them to 11th in the table, on 28th points. Feb 1 - 5:29 PM
Source: NBC Sports

Highest Searched Players over the last 7 days


Player News

Date:

West Ham revealed its first official signing of the new year on Friday night in Southampton defender Jose Fonte.

It looks like a shrewd piece of business for the Hammers to sign Southampton's club captain for £8 million after he was linked with Manchester United this summer for double after winning Euro 2016 with Portugal. The 33-year-old, who is not available to play this weekend, signed a two-and-a-half-year deal with a club option for a third year. Said Fonte: "I signed for West Ham because they are a great club and a very big club. They have a lot of fans and I have known for a number of years how passionate they are. The manager was also a very big influence. I thought that he really wanted me and that he sold me the project and the ambition of the Club."
Jan 21 - 5:45 AM

West Ham are closing in on the £8 million signing of Southampton captain Jose Fonte.

33 year old Fonte has been unsettled at Southampton in recent times and has been subject to intense speculation in the press. He handed in a transfer request earlier in the month and has been excluded from the side since. Saints manager Claude Puel reports that Fonte has plenty of options regarding his future and admits that the speculation surrounding his future has been a distraction which hasn't aided Southampton's cause recently. Negotiations to extend Fonte's contract stalled in late 2016 and it now appears that the Euro 2016 winner's departure is inevitable.
Source: Sky Sports
Jan 19 - 4:10 PM

Southampton are rumoured to be tracking Borussia Monchengladbach's Julian Korb as a potential signing.

The 24 year old is primarily a right-back, who could act as able cover for Cedric as summer signing Pied has been ruled out for the season. His versatility will also appeal to Claude Puel, as he can play as a centre-back. Korb has not been essential for Borussia this term, only starting 12 matches. The Saints are also rumoured to face competition from West Ham to land the signature of the German.
Source: HITC Sport
Jan 18 - 12:08 AM

Southampton manager Claude Puel confirmed captain Jose Fonte will not play this month while he sorts out his future.

Fonte submitted an official transfer request at the beginning of the month, leading to rumors of interest from Liverpool, Crystal Palace and West Ham. But while the transfer window and speculation continues, Puel said he will not waver on his decision to bench the defender amid the rumors and talks over his future. Said the manager: "The situation for Jose is the same for the moment," said Puel. "I don’t comment on his possibilities with other clubs, but for the moment we stay with the same consideration about his situation. I prefer for Jose to stay out the team, to leave him to give him an opportunity and for us to stay focused on the players available in the team." In his absence, Maya Yoshida has filled in along the back-line and will likely continue to do so until the end of the month with little cover at center-back.
Source: Daily Echo
Jan 15 - 2:55 PM

Southampton captain Jose Fonte has handed in a transfer request to manager Claude Puel.

Fonte, who has been at the club since 2010, rejected the offer of a new contract by the club to extend his stay beyond 2018. Fonte was excluded by Puel from the FA Cup draw with Norwich at the weekend and the manager has confirmed that the club's captain will not feature in the midweek EFL Cup semi-final with Liverpool. Puel cited the saga as a distraction for the team but was not drawn on future moves for replacements or potential destinations for his frustrated player.
Source: BBC Sport
Jan 9 - 1:11 PM

Southampton manager Claude Puel has dismissed reports of a major falling out with centre back Jose Fonte.

Thirty-two year old Fonte has been the focus of media attention in recent weeks over contract negotiations which have not reached a successful conclusion. The Portuguese international was left out of the starting XI for Bournemouth in GW17 having started the previous two games and appeared to have a clash of opinions with Puel pitch-side before kick-off. However, the manager has rubbished rumours of a fallout instead explaining that his captain understood that he was out of the team because of a rotation strategy Puel is deploying to tackle the club's current fixture congestion.
Mon, Dec 19, 2016 03:28:00 PM

Southampton defender Jose Fonte set the record straight regarding talk of his future at the club and a rumored contract standoff.

Speculation over his future at the club with his current contract due up in the summer of 2018 was confirmed when the Saints captain confirmed he did no reject a new contract, because there wasn't an offer to begin with: "There's no contract on the table. There was in the summer, they offered me a pay rise. They didn't offer me a new contract. They offered me a pay rise which I'm entitled to discuss with my agent and entitled to say no to as well. I'm entitled to have my own opinion, so apart from that that's it." Everton and Manchester United have been linked in recent weeks with a transfer in the upcoming two windows looking very likely.
Source: Sky Sports
Wed, Dec 7, 2016 08:06:00 AM

Southampton's long-serving centre-back Jose Fonte has been given permission to leave the club in the January transfer window.

Fonte, who arrived at the club in 2010 from Crystal Palace has failed to reach an agreement to sign a new contract after negotiations opened in the summer. His Euro 2016 winning performances with Portugal and PL consistency attracted interest from the likes of Man Utd and Everton in the summer but both parties persisted with trying to agree new terms on his current deal which runs for another 18 months. Reports in Portugal state that Southampton will accept offers in excess of £5m for Fonte. Leading the charge in rumours are Man Utd, as they previously expressed interest and Mourinho shares the same agant, Jorge Mendes, with the 32 year old.
Source: The Guardian
Tue, Dec 6, 2016 01:19:00 PM

Southampton boss Claude Puel has said that Portuguese defender Jose Fonte is challenging for a first team place in Friday evening's clash with Manchester United at Old Trafford.

In his pre match press conference, the new manager confirmed that the club have a clean bill of health except for Ryan Bertrand. He added that Saints' skipper Fonte, who was a substitute in last weekend’s draw with Watford, is challenging Maya Yoshida and Virgil Van Dijk to win his place back in the team. The European Championship winner reported back to the club late in the summer after he was given an extended break due to his exploits in France.
Wed, Aug 17, 2016 04:03:00 PM

Portugal managed to erase three deficits as Cristiano Ronaldo finally got going, scoring twice and adding an assist, drawing with Hungary, 3-3.

Portugal manage to make it through the group stage without winning once, drawing three times. They were down early to Hungary, when former West Brom midfielder Zoltan Gera fired a laser from outside of the box, beating Rui Patricio low and to his left. Portugal leveled when Ronaldo delivered a class through ball to former Manchester United winger Luis Nani who slotted home. Things got crazy in the second half when, in a 15 minute span, Hungary's Balazs Dzsudzsak scored twice and Ronaldo scored twice to cancel it out, including a nifty backheel finish on his first goal. Group F definitely proved to be the most surprising of the tournament as Hungary finish on top, Iceland went unbeaten to finish second, Portugal barely squeaked through and Austria were sent packing.
Source: The Guardian
Wed, Jun 22, 2016 02:13:00 PM

Jose Fonte has recovered from a concussion and is "OK" according to Ronald Koeman.

Fonte had to leave the last match with a concussion and was replaced by Maya Yoshida. The Saints aren't likely to move up to sixth place and are safe from relegation, so they have no reason to risk anyone at the moment. If Fonte isn't 100%, he probably won't play, but it certainly sounds like he's good to go. Victor Wanyama is also healthy and ready to go.
Thu, Apr 21, 2016 10:09:00 AM

Southampton duo Jose Fonte and Victor Wanyama have been given the all-clear after going to hospital in Liverpool.

Fonte was replaced by Maya Yoshida during the first half of Saturdays' game against Everton following a clash of heads which left the Saints skipper concussed. Wanyama on the other-hand sustained a knock to the ribs and the pair were required to go to hospital for further checks. Fortunately, both were cleared medically late on Saturday evening and Fonte took to his Instagram account to confirm the good news: "Don't remember coming off but I'm glad to say we are all clear to go home!!@victorwanyama is clear to!!Thanks for the support today and #wemarchon to the next one!!" With no midweek fixture to consider, both players should be ready for the trip to Villa Park in game week thirty-five.
Source: Daily Echo
Mon, Apr 18, 2016 06:47:00 AM

Jose Fonte left Southampton's match against Everton today with an apparent concussion.

Fonte had a head injury and the referee signaled to the sidelines to have him checked out. The medical staff determined he should step off, and Fonte was replaced by Maya Yoshida. Southampton currently hold a 0-0 draw against Everton and will try to win without their captain.
Sat, Apr 16, 2016 10:45:00 AM

Southampton will be without its captain for the club's weekend match with Stoke City due to Saturday's red card against Sunderland.

The defender was given his marching orders by the referee for interfering with a goalscoring opportunity after pulling down Fabio Borini in the 79th minute with a 1-0 lead as the Italian sped toward goal. Despite preventing the goal at the time, Saints conceded six minutes later to Jermain Defoe as the club was forced to settle for a point instead of jumping into seventh. Without Fonte against Stoke City, who sit just two points ahead of Southampton in eighth place, Ronald Koeman will surely go with Maya Yoshida alongside Virgil van Dijk as the Japanese international has been in and out of the starting XI and came on shortly after Fonte's red.
Mon, Mar 7, 2016 06:13:00 PM