Player Page

Ross Barkley | Midfielder | #8

Team: Chelsea
Age / DOB:  (24) / 12/5/1993
Ht / Wt:  6'1" / 168

Latest News

Recent News

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has confirmed Ross Barkley could be included in the squad for Sunday's clash against Manchester City after recovering from a hamstring injury.
The 24-year-old midfielder, who joined Chelsea from Everton in the January transfer window, hasn't featured for the Blues since he started and played 60 minutes in the 3-0 home defeat to Bournemouth. However, Conte revealed on Friday Barkley is in contention for this weekend's match at the Etihad after returning to full training this week. "Ross Barkley trained with us this week and now he’s recovered from his injury," Conte said on Friday. "He will come with us and then I will decide if I find a place on the bench for him, or if he will be in the stand for another week." Despite a month long layoff, expect Barkley to be among the substitutes with Tiemoue Bakayoko on the injury list. Mar 2 - 12:27 PM


Player News

Date:

Ross Barkley is set for yet more time on the sidelines according to reports who suggest the Chelsea playmaker has suffered a setback in training.

The 24-year-old finally arrived at Stamford Bridge in January following a protracted summer move which was scuppered when Barkley suffered extensive hamstring damage while working his way back from a groin issue. After undergoing a second surgical procedure, Barkley spent the remainder of 2017 recovering before moving to SW6 in a £15 million deal. Making his debut in the Carabao Cup [at The Emirates], it was hoped that Barkley would use the next 4 months to try and force his way into Gareth Southgate’s plans ahead of the 2018 World Cup Finals in Russia. However, this latest injury will cast doubt over his ability to cope with the physical demands of tournament football. There is no indication at this point on how severe the problem is. Barkley becomes the fifth Chelsea player already this year to miss a match(es) due to a muscular strain.
Feb 5 - 5:05 AM

Ross Barkley's first start for Chelsea wasn't enough as the Blues lost 3-0 to Bournemouth.

Barkley played 54 minutes in his first start for Chelsea before being taken out for Cesc Fàbregas. It shouldn't be looked at as an overall bad day for Barkley as he was pulling the right strings but no one was there to finish the chances.
Jan 31 - 5:01 PM

Ross Barkley could be handed his Chelsea debut in the FA Cup third round replay against Norwich City next week.

Barkley, who joined Chelsea in a £15m deal from Everton last week, hasn't played this season due to a serious of injuries. The 24-year-old won't feature against Leicester City this weekend, but Blues boss Antonio Conte did suggest the midfielder could make his debut as soon as next Wednesday's replay against the Canaries. "We must be satisfied with his physical condition,’ Conte said. "He is working very hard these days and maybe for the next game against Norwich he could be available to be in contention." Expect Barkley be eased into action, and compete with Tiemoué Bakayoko and Cesc Fàbregas for playing time once fully fit.
Jan 12 - 1:59 PM

Ross Barkley says he is close to a return after stepping up his recovery in recent weeks.

The Blues star was speaking to Chelsea TV following his £15 million switch from Everton and admits he is "looking forward to getting started" after missing the first half of the campaign. Barkley was working his way back from hernia surgery in August when he suffered extensive damage to his hamstring which resulted in the playmaker once again having to go under the knife. But, the player has now confirmed it won’t be long before he’s back on the pitch. "I’ve been training for a few weeks now and I’m feeling great." There had been talk of a potential move to Stamford Bridge in the summer, but injury effectively ended any chance of a deal being done. Following the departure of Ronald Koeman in October, there was hope that Sam Allardyce could convince Barkley to stay, however by mid-December a new deal could not be agreed, and Everton were resigned to losing the 24-year-old.
Jan 7 - 3:03 PM

Chelsea has completed the signing of Ross Barkley from Everton, with reports understanding the fee to be £15m plus add-ons.

The 24-year-old was linked with a £30m move to Chelsea on transfer deadline day in August after rejecting a new deal at Everton but now has moved to Stamford Bridge for a cut-price fee. The versatile midfielder arrives with a wealth of experience, having made 150 Premier League appearances for Everton and won 22 England caps. Barkley has not played for seven months because of a hamstring injury, but will compete for a place in the starting XI once fit. Upon signing a five-and-a-half year deal with last season's Premier League champions, Barkley said: "I'm overwhelmed, I'm looking forward to it and I'm really excited to get started."
Jan 5 - 3:41 PM

Everton interim manager David Unsworth confirmed that Ross Barkley is still at least three weeks away from returning.

The Everton star has not played this season as he recovers from a hamstring injury, which was preceded by groin surgery this summer. But with a new coach following Ronald Koeman's dismissal, it could mark a fresh start for Barkley upon his return in November. Said Unsworth: "We hope Ross is three or four weeks away from being in the squad. The long term injuries are as they were, but Ross is closer to coming back. They are all still working really hard in the gym. But with Yannick Bolasie and Seamus Coleman, you are talking months not weeks."
Fri, Oct 27, 2017 11:21:00 PM

After seeing him turn down a move to Chelsea, Everton will have to wait until November for Ross Barkley's return.

The England international was expected to leave on Deadline Day with a move to Chelsea agreed upon before he pulled out before taking a medical. The 23-year-old has not played this season due to a hamstring injury and is not expected to return until November, when manager Ronald Koeman said he would re-evaluate the attacking midfielder's status in the side. "No (his Everton career is not over) because he is still an Everton player. To the end of this season he has his contract Of course the player, at this time, is injured and it will take another two or two-and-a-half months before he is available. So I don't need to take that decision now and I can wait and see what will happen. Then we will see what the decision will be at that time."
Source: Sky Sports
Thu, Sep 7, 2017 05:41:00 PM

Ross Barkley will now remain at Everton for the remainder of 2017 after a failed move to Chelsea on Deadline Day.

Everton owner Farhad Moshiri confirmed that a £35 million move to Chelsea had been agreed to and personal terms finalized before Barkley turned down the move during his medical, which some sources say never happened. The Telegraph report Barkley was hoping to complete a move to Tottenham, but the Toffees refused to negotiate with Spurs. So now the England international will remain on Merseyside with loads of competition at this position with Gylfi Sigurdsson, Davy Klaassen and Wayne Rooney all arriving this summer.
Fri, Sep 1, 2017 07:36:00 AM

Ross Barkley may have kicked his last ball for Everton after suffering a setback in his recovery from summer groin surgery.

The 23-year-old, who has been heavily linked with Tottenham in recent weeks, was said to be progressing well after going under the knife in July. However, news broke on Monday that Barkley suffered a suspected hamstring injury in training, and if scan results confirm a strain, then a return before the end of August is highly unlikely. With Mauricio Pochettino prepared to splash out around £25 million on the midfielder, his days at Goodison look to be numbered, although Ronald Koeman is not prepared to let Barkley go on the cheap: "If there is an offer, maybe the club will not accept. He is a really good player; a young player, an English player. With all the valuations we have seen the last few weeks, if you want to buy Ross it is a big [financial] deal." Reports earlier in the summer indicated Everton wanted closer to £50 million.
Source: The Metro
Mon, Aug 14, 2017 05:45:00 PM

Ross Barkley will miss the start of the new Premier League season after going under the knife to remedy the groin injury which has hampered his pre-season progress.

The 23-year-old was not part of the squad which recently played in a sponsor's game in Tanzania while Ronald Koeman confirmed earlier this week that the Everton midfielder would remain at Finch Farm to undergo further treatment. The news prompted many to speculate whether Barkley, who has not signed an extension to his current deal, could be on the move with Tottenham being heavily linked to the England international. However, the club released a statement on Wednesday confirming Barkley has had a surgical procedure to correct the problem: "The surgery has been a success and he is expected to be able to return to play in approximately four weeks." All being well, Barkley should be available for the away trip to Manchester City in game week two or the match at Stamford Bridge five days later.
Wed, Jul 19, 2017 04:48:00 PM

Ross Barkley has been omitted from the Everton squad which travelled to Tanzania on Tuesday casting a doubt over his future at the club.

Officially, Everton cite a groin problem, saying that Barkley will remain at Finch Farm to receive ongoing treatment. However, the 23-year-old was pictured in pre-season training as recently as Monday with many speculating his absence is linked to his refusal to sign a contract extension having entered the final year of his current deal. Back in May, Ronald Koeman said he would "need to think" about the situation if an agreement could not be reached, and given Everton’s recent transfer activity, the risk of losing Barkley doesn’t overly concern the Dutchman: "I am not worried because I like to work with players who like to stay and we will go on – we will look for players in that position and even if he stays, there will be more competition for him."
Wed, Jul 12, 2017 05:59:00 AM

Tottenham are potential suitors for Everton's want-away Ross Barkley, but Spurs are confident the Toffees asking price is inflated and will wait to cut a potential deal when the England international's transfer fee lowers.

Barkley is one of the biggest domestic names on the market this summer but Tottenham aren't exactly in need of his services. When it comes to attacking midfielders who thrive in a central role, Spurs are already boasting two world class talents in Christian Eriksen and Dele Alli. The club's summer shopping priority is replacing the departing Kyle Walker at right back and it looks as though second on the checklist is a more natural wide attacking midfielder, as Spurs have recently shown interest in AC Milan's Suso and FC Schalke's Max Meyer. So the lack of need and the shrewd reputation of owner Daniel Levy combines to make a Barkley-to-Spurs move simmering low on the hot stove.
Source: Sky Sports
Fri, Jun 23, 2017 05:34:00 AM

There were a few notable omissions from Gareth Southgate’s England squad ahead of their international double header in June.

Captain Wayne Rooney has been left out for the upcoming games against Scotland and France because of the "good form" of other players, while contract rebel Ross Barkley, is apparently nursing a minor injury which he picked up on the final day at the Emirates. Burnley centre-back Michael Keane has not recovered from the calf strain which has kept him sidelined since the end of April, however, teammate Tom Heaton retains his place. Surprisingly, Jermain Defoe is one of four named strikers - Harry Kane, Jamie Vardy and Marcus Rashford – join the Bournemouth bound 34-year-old. Southampton duo Nathan Redmond and James Ward-Prowse, who earned their first senior caps in March, have been selected for the Under-21s ahead of the European Championships in June.
Source: The Mirror
Fri, May 26, 2017 04:38:00 AM

Ross Barkley, perhaps responding to Ronald Koeman's contract ultimatum, scored a long range goal as Everton beat Watford 1-0 to kick off Week 37.

It was a dominant performance from Everton who were significantly better than their guests in every statistical category on the night. The Toffees dominated possession and shots on target. Despite that dominance, it took an impressive long range effort from Ross Barkley to break the deadlock in the 56th minute. The outcome will be a nice boost for the Toffees who have been flagging down the stretch. What it means for Barkley as he tries to determine his fate at Goodison Park beyond this season remains to be seen.
Source: espnfc.com
Fri, May 12, 2017 05:08:00 PM