Player Page

Team: PGA Golfer
Age / DOB:  (45) / 5/12/1970
Ht / Wt:  5'9' / 155

Latest News

Recent News

Mike Weir makes his first start of the 2015-16 TOUR season with his 19th straight visit to the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am where he's finished runner-up two times, most recently the weather-shortened 2009 version (54 holes) and again in 2005.
Overall, Weir has tallied seven top 10s at the AT&T, but missed seven cuts as well, including four of his last five. He's already burned both of his career money list exemptions and begins his 19th TOUR season on a combo of major and minor medical extensions (four apiece). The Canadian ended last season on a personal leave of absence following a mid-tourney WD at the John Deere, on the eve of his national open. Prior, he cashed one check in 18 starts (at a no-cut event). The 45-year-old, who announced his return on Dec. 1, shunned potential Web.com Tour rehab starts, opting instead for a pair of events on the European Tour over the past three weeks (both missed cuts), followed by some skiing at Alta. Three of his eight career titles have come in California, the last being the 2004 Nissan Open (his second win at Riviera CC), next week's TOUR stop. Feb 10 - 9:01 AM
Source: PGATOUR.com

Highest Searched Golfers over the last 7 days


Player News

Date:

Mike Weir and Sean O'Hair shot 7-under 65 in the first round of the Franklin Templeton Shootout.

This is the first we've seen of the lefty in televised golf since he took time off to attend to his family in the wake of a divorce. Weir competed in the TaylorMade Pebble Beach Invitational the week before Thanksgiving, where he made the 54-hole cut on the number before finishing 17 strokes adrift of champion Jeff Gove. As we relayed last week, the Canuck plans to resume his PGA TOUR schedule back at Pebble Beach in mid-February.
Thu, Dec 10, 2015 02:21:00 PM

Mike Weir has planned to return to the PGA TOUR at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am on Feb. 11-14.

The Canadian is scheduled to have fun at next week's Franklin Templeton Shootout first, however. Assuming he sticks with the commitment, it'll mark his first public action since taking time off for personal matters following the John Deere Classic in July. "I just want to get back to playing good golf, which I think I'm capable of doing," he said. "Right now I'm very motivated and I'm giving it one good go." Weir has eight starts on a medical extension to earn $669,670 or 410 FedExCup points. The second four starts are via a Minor Medical, so he'll be demoted to that category if he can't retain status in the Major Medical category in the first four. "I might mix in a few [Web.com Tour] events to stay sharp, and I may even look at some events in Europe," added the 45-year-old. "I need to play, and play a lot to get back mentally as much as physically. That just takes you playing."
Source: CBC.ca
Tue, Dec 1, 2015 02:09:00 PM

Mike Weir is scheduled to participate in the Franklin Templeton Shootout on Dec. 10-12.

This may or may not be Weir's first public action since leaving the PGA TOUR during the John Deere Classic July to address personal matters related to his children and divorce, but don't be surprised if it is. The lefty is in no hurry to return to the grind and he's equipped with a couple of medical extensions when he does. He and Retief Goosen tied for last in the 2014 Shootout, which is held at Tiburón Golf Club at The Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort in Naples, Florida.
Thu, Oct 22, 2015 12:45:00 PM

Mike Weir starts the 2015-16 PGA TOUR season with a pair of medical extensions, but he doesn't have a firm time frame as to when he'll return to competition.

The lefty departed life on the road in July to attend to the needs of his two teenage daughters as he settled a divorce from his wife. Three months later, the sky has cleared a bit, so he's taking the moment to enjoy the view. "My peace of mind is better," he said. "Right now, not to have a time table for when I’m going to return lets me just work on my game at my pace. I’ll know when I’m ready." When he does, Weir will have eight starts on a medical extension to earn $669,670 or 410 FedExCup points. The first four starts (for his family crisis) are on a Major, the other four (for an elbow injury) are on a Minor. From our standpoint, it's merely status housekeeping as the 45-year-old hasn't had fantasy usable and consistent fantasy value in years.
Source: TSN.ca
Fri, Oct 16, 2015 01:14:00 AM

In a follow-up to the news that we relayed earlier, Mike Weir released a statement to explain why he's taking time off indefinitely.

Here it is in its entirety: "To all my fans, I will be taking an indefinite leave of absence from golf competition effective today. Family is incredibly important to me and I have decided to take some time to focus on my personal life and children. Although there is no set timeline for my return, I love the game and will return when the time is right. It was extremely difficult to make the decision to forego this year’s RBC Canadian Open, as I love playing in front of the Canadian fans. At this time though I know the focus needs to be on my family. I look forward to teeing up again in front of Canada at our National Open very soon. Thank you to all my fans for their understanding and continued support." The lefty has missed play for injuries in recent years, but there's no timetable on recovery from emotional distress.
Source: MikeWeir
Fri, Jul 17, 2015 06:08:00 PM

Mike Weir's 25th appearance at the RBC Canadian Open will have to wait as he's stepping away from golf for the time being, according to Lorne Rubenstein on Twitter.

Rubenstein wrote, "@MikeWeir has played 24 Canadian Opens. Will not play @RBCCanadianOpen next week. Taking indefinite leave from @PGATOUR for family reasons." After his debut in his national open in 1989, the Ontario native competed in every edition of the Canadian Open since 1992. His golf has been awful for most of this season, so he's unlikely to miss the grind.
Fri, Jul 17, 2015 02:25:00 PM

Mike Weir has pulled out of this week's Barbasol Championship.

The lefty walked off TPC Deere Run on his second hole of the second round, citing personal reasons. Having turned 45 in May and with no form of which to speak, Weir is in the proverbial no-man's land of his career. Certainly set for life financially, tough decisions may be looming. He's played through slumps and injury with little success and there are only so many golf courses that he can tackle when the stars are aligned.
Source: PGATOUR.com
Mon, Jul 13, 2015 12:21:00 PM

Mike Weir withdrew from the John Deere Classic during his second round due to personal reasons.

This is a strange one. He bogeyed the par-4 first hole, teed off on the par-5 second, and then walked off. With a 2-over 73 on Thursday, the lefty was 3-over through 19 holes and facing a mountain to climb to make the cut. That he didn't cite an injury is telling, but we don't have the information necessary to determine if his actual reasoning is regarding himself or something else in his life. What we do know is that this is his 11th mid-tournament WD in 423 PGA TOUR starts as a professional; it's his third this season. A T21 at the CIMB Classic remains his only payday in 18 starts in 2014-15. He's full exempt via the 2013-14 money list, so at least he's not burning exemptions a younger talent could use. For the time being, Weir is scheduled to play in next week's Barbasol Championship.
Fri, Jul 10, 2015 10:41:00 AM

Mike Weir has decided not to compete at this week's Greenbrier Classic.

It's been an atrocious season for the eight-time PGA TOUR winner. He's just 1-for-17 and hasn't broken par in the 2015 portion of the schedule. Weir turned 45 years of age in May, so he's in no-man's land on his career arc. Of course, injuries haven't helped and his game is overwhelmed on most tracks.
Source: PGATOUR.com
Mon, Jun 29, 2015 11:15:00 AM

Mike Weir preps for his 16th start of the season as he turns his attention to TPC Southwind at this week's FedEx St. Jude Classic.

The bottom has dropped out for the Canadian who is just 1-for-15 on the season. His lone cut made was back in the Fall Series, a T21 at the CIMB Classic. The lefty has two starts at the St. Jude Classic, finishing top 40 in both, but not returning since 2007. At this point, gamers should not be considering Weir for their rosters any week, unless they are playing a low-ball format.
Source: PGATOUR.com
Wed, Jun 10, 2015 09:02:00 AM

Mike Weir turns his attention to Quail Hollow Club for this week's Wells Fargo Championship.

The Canadian will need all ten fingers to count his Wells Fargo starts after his week, and he'll have the chance to make his seventh weekend appearance. The lefty has three top 25s at Quail Hollow but none since 2007. Entering the week with one cut made in 12 starts this year, the odds are not in Weir's favor this week.
Source: PGATOUR.com
Tue, May 12, 2015 08:36:00 AM

Mike Weir shot 10-over-par 41-41=82 in today's opening round of the Masters.

The 2003 champ has battled an injury to his right forearm for a while. It led to withdrawals during his last two starts, but he's not taking a spot in the field at the invitational-only Masters. He split only six (of 14) fairways, which are eminently findable, and totaled only seven greens in regulation. Weir erased a lone birdie at the par-5 13th hole with seven bogeys and two doubles. This is his highest score in 53 career competitive rounds on the track.
Thu, Apr 9, 2015 05:16:00 PM

Mike Weir did not commit to next week's Shell Houston Open.

While disappointing to fans of the face of Canadian golf, this clears his schedule to simplify his plan to play in the Masters in two weeks. Weir was a late withdrawal before his opening round of the Valero Texas Open with the recurring injury in his right forearm. Gamers won't miss him, of course, but he's been a mildly intriguing source of morbid fascination as he maintains a positive outlook despite an unending series of setbacks.
Source: PGATOUR.com
Fri, Mar 27, 2015 07:53:00 PM

Mike Weir withdrew from the Valero Texas Open prior to his tee time in today's opening round.

Weir alerted his followers on Twitter about his decision, writing, "Frustrated to withdraw from Valero Texas open but my forearm still not right!" Last we heard, he was dealing with soreness in his right elbow, but close enough. Weir honored his word by not trying to play if he wasn't completely ready.
Source: PGATOUR.com
Thu, Mar 26, 2015 11:06:00 AM