Player Page

Arron Oberholser |

Team: PGA Golfer

Latest News

Recent News

Arron Oberholser enters the 2014-15 PGA TOUR season with another carryover of his Major Medical Extension.
AO's medical dates back to 2008 when he first missed time due to a litany of injuries, most notably to his left hand and wrist. He hasn't played PGA TOUR-sanctioned competition since the Hotel Fitness Championship during the Web.com Tour Finals in 2013. His last PGA TOUR start came at the Shell Houston Open five months prior. Late last year, he said that he's not retired, but he has no plans of burning through all 10 of the remaining starts on the medical. (For the record, he needs to earn $349,854 to retain status.) In the meantime, he's worked steadily as an analyst on television and other media. Oberholser will turn 40 years of age in February. Oct 4 - 3:43 PM

Highest Searched Golfers over the last 7 days


Player News

Date:

Arron Oberholser tied for 28th place at last week's Callaway Pebble Beach Invitational and acknowledged that he'll keep playing golf in spots.

Forty-two golfers survived the 54-hole cut. Kevin Kisner won by one over Chesson Hadley, 275-276. Oberholser completed the 72-hole event at 68-72-71-75=286. Afterwards, he didn't shut the door on playing golf, but we may not see him on the PGA TOUR soon, if ever again. "It takes me four Advils a day to play in this," he said. "It's not a way to live or play golf at this level. These guys are too good. I can't manage my schedule enough to not feel pain." He still has status via a Major Medical Extension allowing 10 starts to earn $349,854, but that's a mere fact, not a carrot he's chasing. "I don't intend on using [the starts via the MME], but I am not retiring. I'm keeping my options open." Retirement in golf occurs in degrees, so even if he's done as a touring pro, he can still pocket some coin in one-off events and corporate functions. Needless to say, his fantasy value is nil.
Thu, Nov 28, 2013 11:10:00 AM

Arron Oberholser withdrew from the Nationwide Children's Hospital Championship on Wednesday due to the relentless pain in his left wrist and hand.

AO withdrew from the tournament proper on Wednesday as the pro-am was in a weather delay, but finished the round with his team. Given his comments, today may have been the tipping point for his career. "My hand just can’t go. It hurts on every swing," he said. "The whole hand is just achy, tired and sore, from the knuckles to the lower part of the wrist. ... If I can’t get through two or three in a row, what’s the use of coming out and playing one week and having to take the next two or three weeks off to rest the hand? ... I feel like I’ve pretty much exhausted all efforts and all things I can do. Now it may be a matter of the ‘r-word.'" That would be retirement from his life as a touring professional. "I’m fine with that. I’ve thought about that a lot, and if that’s the case and I decide to do that, then I’ll accept it. ... It’s professional sport and these kinds of things happen. I’m not the only guy who this has happened to."
Thu, Sep 12, 2013 12:46:00 AM

Arron Oberholser elected not to compete at this week's Chiquita Classic.

Oberholser was scheduled to go off the first tee at River Run Country Club in Davidson, N.C., at 12:42 p.m. ET. Instead, he'll sit out the second leg of the Web.com Tour Finals. He tied for 18th at last week's Hotel Fitness Championship. This leaves his appearance in next week's Nationwide Children's Hospital Championship in question. UPDATE: In response to an inquiry on Twitter, Oberholser said: "hand wasn't good at all today. Hopefully better next week." That explanation is about as predictable as it gets in the sport, but given his good play last week, it's an indication that even if he earns the safety net of fully exempt status (to support his Major Medical Extension) in the coming weeks, he's simply not at the level of consistency that gamers need. In that sense, he cannot be underrated.
Thu, Sep 5, 2013 04:06:00 PM

Arron Oberholser crafted a bogey-free, 6-under-par 35-31=66 in his opening round of the Hotel Fitness Championship.

Now this is how you return to competition. He's rested since missing the cut in Houston in late March, but you've probably seen him a time or two on Golf Channel since. Today at Sycamore Hills Golf Club, he went 5-for-5 in scrambling and picked off an eagle and three birdies. Oberholser goes in the books just two strokes off the overnight lead of another TV analyst and PGA TOUR winner on the mend, Scott McCarron.
Thu, Aug 29, 2013 09:27:00 PM

Arron Oberholser is listed in the published field of next week's Hotel Fitness Championship.

In the past, golfers with Major Medical Extensions on the PGA TOUR were exempt into a latter stage of Q School. With the new qualifying process that is the Web.com Tour Finals in place, eligibility has transferred to the four-event series to identify 25 golfers to join the 25 off the Web.com Tour money list. AO went 0-for-2 on the PGA TOUR early this season. He still has 10 starts remaining on his MME to earn $349,854 and retain status. Prior to his appearance in this field, he wasn't expected to see live action again until the Frys.com Open on Oct. 10-13.
Source: PGATOUR.com
Fri, Aug 23, 2013 11:45:00 PM

In an interview on SiriusXM's PGA TOUR channel on Wednesday, Arron Oberholser revealed that he won't play on the PGA TOUR again until the Frys.com Open on Oct. 10-13.

Oberholser was a guest on "Talk of the TOUR." He said that he has one more week at Golf Channel before he'll focus on his game. He hasn't played since missing the cut at the Shell Houston Open in late March and still has 10 starts remaining on his Major Medical Extension to earn $349,854 and retain status. The Frys.com is the first tournament of the 2013-14 season.
Thu, Jul 4, 2013 02:52:00 AM

Arron Oberholser has been removed from the published field of this week's Valero Texas Open.

This is his new normal. He'll tee it up when he thinks he can. Every one of his remaining 10 starts on his Major Medical Extension is precious.
Source: PGATOUR.com
Mon, Apr 1, 2013 05:13:00 PM

Arron Oberholser followed his opening 71 at the Shell Houston Open with a 3-over-par 39-36=75 in his second round to reach the midpoint in 2-over-par 146, too high to survive the cut.

The cut line continues to waver between 1-under and even, so AO knows his fate. He rolled in three birdies today, all from beyond 11 feet. The trio included conversions from 24'11" at 4 and 22'1" at 10. He also swallowed three bogeys, two of which as a result of missed par saves inside seven feet. The granddaddy of the errors, however, occurred at the par-5 eighth where he built a snowman. He rinsed his third and didn't find the putting surface until his sixth stroke before two-putting from just 62 inches. The missed opportunity leaves him with 10 starts on his Major Medical Extension to earn $349,854 and retain status. He'll get his first look at TPC San Antonio at next week's Valero Texas Open.
Source: PGATOUR.com
Fri, Mar 29, 2013 07:23:00 PM

Arron Oberholser carded a 1-under-par 34-37=71 in his opening round of the Shell Houston Open.

This is just his second start of the year, and it carried a little good with a little bad. He hit only 11 greens in regulation at Redstone but limited the damage to one bogey to secure a red number. While he missed two putts from inside seven feet -- both for birdie -- he curled in a conversion from 21'6" at 17 to highlight the round.
Thu, Mar 28, 2013 02:44:00 PM

Arron Oberholser is listed in the published field of next week's Shell Houston Open.

This was the event that he circled for a return to competition. Oberholser hasn't played Redstone since finishing T9 in 2007. He missed the cut at the Northern Trust Open a month ago in what's remained his only start this season. He has 11 remaining on his Major Medical Extension to earn $349,854 and retain status, but a long-term career as a touring pro isn't necessarily on his front burner at the moment.
Source: PGATOUR.com
Fri, Mar 22, 2013 08:52:00 PM

Arron Oberholser is not expected to tee it up again until the Shell Houston Open on March 28-31.

"I feel like I’m straddling a fence right now between two careers," Oberholser said in the wake of missing the cut at the Northern Trust Open in his only start this season. Once again, he experienced discomfort through the lower half of his left arm, so he's shut it down for now. "I’m not using the R-word yet, because I’m going to exhaust every opportunity I can to play. I was flabbergasted at how poorly I played (at Riviera). ... That was discouraging, because I thought I was fine." It has to be challenging for the one-time PGA TOUR winner to discern between expected soreness after a one-year competitive layoff and familiar pain associated with having four surgeries on his hand and wrist. "I’ve been overly cautious at home, trying to save my hand for tournaments, and it’s just not working. I’m not getting in enough ball-hitting reps." If he can't give it a go, look and listen for more of him on Golf Channel in the coming months.
Wed, Feb 27, 2013 11:33:00 PM

Arron Oberholser followed his opening 77 at the Northern Trust Open with a 4-over-par 39-36=75 and will miss the cut.

Today's score was better but probably didn't offer much in the way of any kind of moral victory. He hit only five greens in regulation, so that he was able to limit the damage to six bogeys was somewhat noteworthy. Nevertheless, he now has 11 starts on his Major Medical Extension to earn $349,854 and retain status.
Fri, Feb 15, 2013 08:29:00 PM

Arron Oberholser settled for a 6-over-par 37-40=77 in his opening round of the Northern Trust Open.

Back inside the ropes for the first time in one year, Oberholser hit 11 greens at Riviera today but converted only one birdie, and that was a long-range version, measuring 25'4" at the 14th hole. Elsewhere, he swallowed four bogeys and a double.
Thu, Feb 14, 2013 04:17:00 PM

Arron Oberholser is scheduled to compete in next week's Northern Trust Open.

The PGA TOUR's media department reported this. By the time he tees it up at Riviera next week, one year will have elapsed since we last saw him inside the ropes. Oberholser has considered limiting his commitments to warm-weather sites, so that will be something to monitor moving forward. He still has 12 starts on a Major Medical Extension to earn $349,854 and retain status on the PGA TOUR. The one-time winner hasn't competed at the NTO since he withdrew after three rounds in 2006.
Fri, Feb 8, 2013 06:09:00 PM