Player Page

Howie Kendrick | Second Baseman | #47

Team: Los Angeles Dodgers
Age / DOB:  (32) / 7/12/1983
Ht / Wt:  5'10" / 220
Bats / Throws: Right / Right
College: St. John's River CC
Drafted: 2002 / Rd. 10 (0) / LAA
Contract: view contract details
Share: 

Latest News

Recent News

Dodgers re-signed 2B Howie Kendrick to a two-year, $20 million contract.
The deal was agreed upon last week and then finalized Thursday after Kendrick passed his pre-signing physical. Kendrick will make $10 million in 2016 and $10 million in 2017, with $5 million deferred each year. He'll act as the Dodgers' primary second baseman again in 2016, but the 32-year-old figures to see starts at third base and left field as well. Kendrick batted .295/.336/.409 with nine home runs, 54 RBI, and six stolen bases in 117 games last season for Los Angeles. Feb 4 - 12:20 PM

Highest Searched Players over the last 7 days


Player News

Date:

Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said he's spoken to Howie Kendrick about "mixing in time" at third base.

Roberts said he'd also be open to letting Kendrick play left field during spring training. With the team's logjam at second base, it makes sense to use Kendrick in a utility role. Kendrick has spent the majority of his career playing second base but has also made 26 appearances in left field and one at third base.
Jan 30 - 4:08 PM

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Dodgers and Howie Kendrick have agreed to terms on a two-year contract.

MLB Network's Jon Heyman says the deal is for $20 million, which looks like a steal for the Dodgers. L.A. had been planning to get by with some combination of Chase Utley and Kike Hernandez at second base, but as time went on and Kendrick's price appeared to drop, it made sense to bring him back. Kendrick will turn 33 around the All-Star break and missed quite a bit of time last year due to injury, but he batted .295/.336/.409 when healthy and should be good for solid production for another couple years.
Jan 29 - 5:25 PM

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Dodgers are "making progress" on a deal to re-sign Howie Kendrick.

Kendrick's market hasn't developed as he hoped after he rejected the Dodgers' qualifying offer, and his price has apparently dropped enough to where the club wants to retain him. It's unclear at this point what the parameters of the deal will look like. Bringing Kendrick back deepens the Dodgers' roster, as Kike Hernandez and Chase Utley will now come off the bench.
Jan 29 - 11:17 AM

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Dodgers are "considering" Howie Kendrick.

It's pretty clear at this point that re-signing Kendrick wasn't a priority for the Dodgers, but we're near the end of January and the second baseman's price tag has probably dropped enough to make them reconsider. The club currently has Chase Utley and Kike Hernandez to battle for the second base job, but bringing Kendrick back would allow them to push both into utility roles. Kendrick has also drawn interest from the Diamondbacks.
Jan 29 - 8:18 AM

According to USA Today's Bob Nightengale, the Diamondbacks are actively trying to move a second baseman, presumably to clear a spot for free agent Howie Kendrick.

The most obvious candidate for a trade would be Aaron Hill, but he's been on a sharp decline over the last two years and is owed $12 million in 2016. It's going to be very hard to find a taker for him, even if the D'Backs eat some of that salary. Chris Owings would be the other candidate, but he is only 24 years old and Arizona has to like his upside. Kendrick remains available here in late January despite posting a respectable .295/.336/.409 batting line across 117 games last season with the Dodgers. The main reason for his sluggish market is that his free agency is tied to draft pick compensation.

Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that the Diamondbacks are seemingly out on Howie Kendrick.

D'Backs general manager Dave Stewart indicated that while the team had interest in the free agent infielder, they have no desire to surrender an additional draft pick after losing their first round selection with the Zack Greinke signing. Chris Owings will once again serve as the club's starting second baseman entering the 2016 season.
Source: MLB.com
Jan 4 - 11:48 PM

According to FOX Sports' Jon Morosi, the Diamondbacks are "having ongoing discussions" with Howie Kendrick.

Diamondbacks general manager Dave Stewart acknowledged his interest in Kendrick last week to the Arizona Republic, though he added that the team's budget is tight after the Zack Greinke signing. Stewart and the Diamondbacks would also have to give up another draft pick to land Kendrick, as the veteran second baseman declined a qualifying offer from the Dodgers in November. Chris Owings is currently projected to open 2016 as Arizona's primary second baseman, with Aaron Hill backing him up in a utility role. Kendrick would be an upgrade, though maybe not a significant one.
Source: FOX Sports
Jan 4 - 3:38 PM

Dodgers general manager Farhan Zaidi said Wednesday that the club feels "pretty set at second base" with Chase Utley and Enrique Hernandez.

Zaidi was being asked about whether the team was looking to bring back free agent second baseman Howie Kendrick. It looks like that ship might have sailed. Diamondbacks general manager Dave Stewart has indicated that his squad has been in contact with the 32-year-old, but otherwise, it's been pretty quiet for Kendrick. The Nationals were said to have been interested earlier in December, but they opted for Daniel Murphy instead.
Wed, Dec 30, 2015 04:45:00 PM

Diamondbacks general manager Dave Stewart told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that the club has been in touch with free agent second baseman Howie Kendrick.

The Diamondbacks wouldn't mind adding another bat, but Stewart doesn't have much room left in his budget and is hesitant to give up another draft pick after already surrendering one for Zack Greinke. "I just don’t know how far we’re going to get down the road with that," said Stewart. Chris Owings currently projects as the starting second baseman for Arizona while Aaron Hill has shifted into more of a utility infielder role. The Diamondbacks recently discussed a possible Brandon Phillips trade with the Reds which would have sent Hill to Cincinnati, so they are keeping their options open. As for Kendrick, his market is rather quiet.
Wed, Dec 30, 2015 03:33:00 PM

MLB.com's William Ladson reports that the Nationals "have had dialogue" with free agent second basemen Howie Kendrick and Daniel Murphy.

The Nationals had also previously been linked as a possible trade partner for Brandon Phillips, but those talks stalled out. Kendrick and Murphy are probably the two biggest free agent names left at second base. The 32-year-old Kendrick struggled with injury in 2015, playing in just 117 games while sporting a .295/.336/.409 triple-slash. Meanwhile, Murphy hit .281/.322/.449 with 14 homers and 73 RBI before going on his all-universe hot streak in the postseason.
Wed, Dec 23, 2015 06:08:00 PM

Newsday's Marc Carig reports that the Mets "have no plans" to pursue Howie Kendrick.

SB Nation's Chris Cotillo was hearing speculation that the two sides could be a fit, but it sounds like it won't happen. The Mets could pursue a trade for Neil Walker and they haven't completely ruled out re-signing Daniel Murphy, although it doesn't appear either of those is terribly likely to happen.
Tue, Dec 8, 2015 10:44:00 PM

SB Nation's Chris Cotillo reports that there's "growing speculation the Mets could get involved" in the bidding for Howie Kendrick.

Kendrick would make some sense as a fall-back option after the Mets lost out on Ben Zobrist. The 32-year-old batted .295/.336/.409 with nine homers in his lone season with the Dodgers and was limited to 117 games due to injury. He rejected a qualifying offer from Los Angeles, so it would cost the Mets a draft pick in order to sign him.
Tue, Dec 8, 2015 10:09:00 PM

JP Hoornstra of the Los Angeles Daily News said it's "hard to see" the Dodgers giving Howie Kendrick a long-term contract.

The Dodgers are hoping to field a younger roster this year and aren't going to break the bank for a 32-year-old with a .756 career OPS. Assuming Kendrick signs elsewhere, Enrique Hernandez and Jose Peraza would be the leading in-house candidates to take over at second base.
Sat, Dec 5, 2015 11:48:00 PM

2B Howie Kendrick has rejected the Dodgers' one-year, $15.8 million qualifying offer.

Kendrick was limited to 117 games in his first season with the Dodgers but batted .295/.336/.409 with nine homers when he was healthy. The Dodgers are interested in bringing him back.
Fri, Nov 13, 2015 05:13:00 PM

Depth Charts

Batters
PosRoleName
C1Yasmani Grandal
2A.J. Ellis
3Austin Barnes
1B1Adrian Gonzalez
2B1Howie Kendrick
2Chase Utley
3Micah Johnson
4Charlie Culberson
SS1Corey Seager
3B1Justin Turner
2Alex Guerrero
LF1Andre Ethier
2Carl Crawford
3Trayce Thompson
CF1Joc Pederson
2Enrique Hernandez
RF1Yasiel Puig
2Scott Van Slyke
Starting Pitcher
PosRoleName
S1Clayton Kershaw
2Scott Kazmir
3Hyun-Jin Ryu
4Brett Anderson
5Kenta Maeda
6Alex Wood
7Brandon McCarthy
8Mike Bolsinger
9Brandon Beachy
Relief Pitcher
PosRoleName
R1Kenley Jansen
2Chris Hatcher
3J.P. Howell
4Pedro Baez
5Luis Avilan
6Yimi Garcia
7Adam Liberatore
8Carlos Frias
9Frankie Montas
10Ian Thomas
11Josh Ravin
12Joe Blanton