Player Page

Luis Heredia | Starting Pitcher

Team: Pittsburgh Pirates
Age / DOB:  (20) / 8/16/1994
Ht / Wt:  6'6' / 185
Bats / Throws: Right / Right
Share: 

Latest News

Recent News

Pirates right-handed pitching prospect Luis Heredia threw seven shutout innings, scattering three hits and two walks while striking out five batters for Low-A West Virginia.
Heredia turned 20 the day before his start, and could, finally, be turning the corner as a prospect. He has spent the last two years in the Low-A South Atlantic League and has seen his K/9 plunge to 4.0 in 2014. Heredia has frontline potential, but he has struggled to show anything resembling the upside displayed with his breakout 2012 season. His 3.96 ERA and 1.349 WHIP are solid, and Heredia could take a big step forward over the last two weeks of the minor league season. Aug 12 - 11:17 AM

Highest Searched Players over the last 7 days


Player News

Date:

Pirates right-handed pitching prospect Luis Heredia allowed five hits, two walks, one hit batsman, and four runs (one earned) over six innings for Low-A West Virginia.

Heredia has not pitched particularly well in his second season with Low-A West Virginia, putting up a 4.53 ERA and a 1.441 WHIP. Most troubling are hit 4.2 BB/9 and his 3.8 K/9. Heredia is still just 19 years old, but he came into spring training well overweight to start 2013 and has not pitched as well as he did with short season-A in 2012, but he still will flash the potential of a frontline starter. He will likely be a trendy pick for a breakout prospect for 2015, and is someone who could move quickly if he begins to figure it out.
Aug 2 - 12:43 PM

Luis Heredia has been placed on the disabled list at Low-A West Virginia with a right shoulder injury.

Heredia left his start Saturday after just one pitch with pain in his left shoulder. He'll undergo tests this week and could be out for a while. The 19-year-old was signed for $2.6 million out of Mexico in 2010.
Apr 14 - 2:37 PM

Pirates prospect right-hander Luis Heredia left his start on Saturday with shoulder discomfort.

Heredia threw one pitch and was taken out of the game. He will be evaluated in the next few days. Heredia was signed for $2.6 million in 2010 out of Mexico, and was viewed as a potential front-line pitcher who would fit between Gerrit Cole and Jameson Taillon.
Source: MiLB.com
Apr 13 - 10:21 AM

Pirates right-handed pitching prospect Luis Heredia struggled in his 2014 debut, allowing four runs (all earned) in five innings.

Heredia came camp substantially overweight in 2013 and had a lost season. He has lost significant weight since then to return to his prior weight, but is repeating Low-A to begin 2014. He floundered in his first start, allowing six hits and eight walks, while throwing a wild pitch and striking out only three batters. Heredia still has the potential to be a front of the rotation force, but if he continues to struggle he may never reach that. Continue to track Heredia, as if he does well, he could be promoted to High-A prior to his 20th birthday.
Apr 8 - 10:52 AM

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is reporting that the Pirates could place 16-year-old phenom Luis Heredia on their rookie league squad this summer.

Customarily, Heredia would begin play in the Dominican Summer League. But the decision to bring him state-side could mean that the Pirates think the 16-year-old will be ready to jump to rookie ball. And with a fastball in the low 90's, Heredia certainly has some tools to compete.
Mon, Jan 31, 2011 06:32:00 AM

According to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Pirates have signed 16-year-old Mexican right-hander Luis Heredia to a $2.6 million bonus.

It’s the largest bonus the Pirates have ever awarded to an international amateur. Veracruz, his former team in Mexico, will keep 75 percent of the bonus, while the remaining 25 percent will go to Heredia. The teenage right-hander has already passed a physical and all aspects of the agreement have been completed, however a formal announcement will be made in his hometown in Mexico next week.
Thu, Aug 19, 2010 08:52:00 AM

Depth Charts

Batters
PosRoleName
C1Russell Martin
2Chris Stewart
3Tony Sanchez
1B1Pedro Alvarez
2Ike Davis
3Gaby Sanchez
2B1Neil Walker
2Chase d'Arnaud
SS1Jordy Mercer
2Clint Barmes
3B1Josh Harrison
2Brent Morel
LF1Starling Marte
2Jose Tabata
CF1Andrew McCutchen
RF1Travis Snider
2Jose Tabata
3Andrew Lambo
Starting Pitcher
PosRoleName
S1Francisco Liriano
2Gerrit Cole
3Charlie Morton
4Edinson Volquez
5Jeff Locke
Relief Pitcher
PosRoleName
R1Mark Melancon
2Tony Watson
3Justin Wilson
4Jared Hughes
5John Axford
6Jeanmar Gomez
7Brandon Cumpton
8Stolmy Pimentel
9Casey Sadler
10Bobby LaFromboise
11John Holdzkom
12Vance Worley