Player Page

Rusney Castillo | Outfielder | #38

Team: Boston Red Sox
Age / DOB:  (30) / 7/9/1987
Ht / Wt:  5'9" / 196
Bats / Throws: Right / Right
College: None
Drafted: 2014 / UDFA / BOS
Contract: view contract details
Share: 

Latest News

Recent News

Rusney Castillo went 3-for-4, scored two runs and drove in a run in a split-squad game against the Rays on Saturday.
He was benched early in camp for failing to run out a groundout, but has flourished ever since. He is now rocking a .368 batting average with two home runs in 40 at-bats. It'll be interesting to see what happens if he keeps it up in the minors, as the Red Sox face huge luxury-tax ramifications should they ever want to call him up. Mar 25 - 5:57 PM

Highest Searched Players over the last 7 days


Player News

Date:

Rusney Castillo hit his first homer of the spring Monday off the Blue Jays' Mat Latos.

Castillo got off to a bad start when he failed to run out a grounder in the very first game of the spring, but he's done well since, going 9-for-21 with four extra-base hits and three steals in three tries. Not that it matters. The Red Sox can't carry him, since putting him back on the 40-man roster would push them over the luxury-tax threshold.
Mar 13 - 4:02 PM

Red Sox manager John Farrell said it was "disappointing" to see Rusney Castillo jog down the line on a doubleplay grounder during Thursday's exhibition game against Northeastern.

Castillo claimed he lost track of the number of outs, but that doesn't really excuse the jogging. Farrell noted after the game that the 29-year-old outfielder does not have a spot on the 40-man roster leading into the 2017 regular season, and it's a good bet that won't change this spring. Castillo was signed to a seven-year, $72.5 million contract out of Cuba in 2014. He is already one of the biggest financial busts in baseball history.
Source: ESPN Boston
Feb 23 - 3:51 PM

Red Sox sent OF Rusney Castillo outright to Triple-A Pawtucket.

Castillo was placed on waivers by the Red Sox over the weekend and passed through unclaimed. The 28-year-old outfielder from Cuba has batted just .262/.301/.379 in 337 major league plate appearances since signing a $72.5 million contract with Boston in 2014. He'll begin playing in games at Pawtucket this week.
Mon, Jun 20, 2016 02:07:00 PM

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that the Red Sox have placed Rusney Castillo on outright waivers.

Castillo will clear waivers, as there's no one interested in taking on what remains of his contract. The Cuban import has disappointed since Day 1 after inking a $72.5 million deal and will now be off the Red Sox' 40-man roster.
Sun, Jun 19, 2016 12:08:00 PM

Red Sox optioned OF Rusney Castillo to Triple-A Pawtucket.

Castillo has had a hard time finding playing time in a crowded Red Sox outfield this season, seeing a total of just eight plate appearances with the big league club. He'll continue to play everyday and bide his time at Triple-A until he's needed again.
Sat, Jun 18, 2016 08:51:00 AM

Red Sox recalled OF Rusney Castillo from Triple-A Pawtucket.

Castillo was up for a few days last week but didn't see any playing time. He could see a little time in left field this time around but can be ignored for fantasy purposes.
Sun, Jun 5, 2016 10:30:00 AM

Red Sox optioned OF Rusney Castillo to Triple-A Pawtucket.

Castillo didn't see a plate appearance in his brief stint with the big club. He's no longer needed with Jackie Bradley back from paternity leave.
Fri, Jun 3, 2016 03:28:00 PM

Red Sox recalled OF Rusney Castillo from Triple-A Pawtucket.

Castillo will hold down a roster spot for a couple of days while Jackie Bradley, Jr. is away on paternity leave. He has struggled at the Triple-A level this year and can be ignored in fantasy leagues.
Tue, May 31, 2016 03:35:00 PM

Red Sox optioned OF Rusney Castillo to Triple-A Pawtucket.

On April 7, manager John Farrell said "we're not there yet" in terms of sending Castillo to Triple-A. We're there now. The 28-year-old outfielder hit a tough .183 during spring training, ultimately losing his starting job to Brock Holt. In 273 at-bats last season, the 28-year-old Cuban import slashed .253/.288/.359 with five homers, 29 RBI and four steals. He's still owed $60.4 million.
Wed, Apr 13, 2016 11:43:00 PM

Red Sox manager John Farrell said the team isn't considering sending Rusney Castillo to the minors right now but acknowledged it could happen later on.

"I won’t rule out that it might come up in conversation as we go forward," said Farrell. "But we’re not there yet." Castillo was expected to open the season as Boston's starting left fielder but hit only .183 during spring training and eventually lost the job to Brock Holt. The Red Sox are keeping him as a fifth outfielder right now but he'd probably be better off getting regular at-bats in Pawtucket. To this point, the 28-year-old from Cuba has been a major bust.
Thu, Apr 7, 2016 08:43:00 PM

Rusney Castillo went 0-for-3 with a strikeout on Thursday, leaving him at .179/.246/.196 in 56 at-bats this spring.

It's surprising that the Red Sox intend to carry Castillo as a fifth outfielder after his ugly spring; sending him down to Triple-A would make much more sense. Perhaps they could still go that route if the right outfielder becomes available this week, though they seemed to have a pretty good alternative in David Murphy before he was let go.
Thu, Mar 31, 2016 04:43:00 PM

Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox are not considering sending Rusney Castillo to Triple-A Pawtucket to start the season.

Castillo's status as the starting left fielder is being challenged by Brock Holt, but even if he loses the job it sounds like he's still going to be on the big club. The Cuban defector has been a disappointment essentially since Day 1 after signing a $72.5 million contract.
Sun, Mar 27, 2016 09:21:00 AM

Rusney Castillo went 0-for-4 as Boston's center fielder and leadoff hitter Friday.

Castillo hasn't seemed overmatched at all this spring, but he has a very modest .267/.333/.300 line through 30 at-bats. He probably doesn't need a big next two weeks to secure his job, but it'd still be nice. At the very least, the Red Sox figure to let him play regularly in April before making a judgment on him.
Fri, Mar 18, 2016 04:09:00 PM

Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski doesn't believe Rusney Castillo is "an established Major League player" yet.

Castillo was thought to be the frontrunner for Boston's starting right field job and probably still is, but Dombrowski's skepticism suggests he could end up platooning with Chris Young. "[Castillo] has to go out and show he can earn the job," said Dombrowski. "Do we think he can do it? Yes. But he still has to perform and show us that he can." 2016 will be a make-or-break year for the 28-year-old.
Source: MLB.com
Sat, Feb 27, 2016 06:57:00 PM

Depth Charts

Batters
PosRoleName
C1Sandy Leon
2Christian Vazquez
3Blake Swihart
1B1Mitch Moreland
2Sam Travis
2B1Dustin Pedroia
2Eduardo Nunez
SS1Xander Bogaerts
3B1Rafael Devers
2Brock Holt
3Marco Hernandez
4Tzu-Wei Lin
LF1Andrew Benintendi
2Chris Young
CF1Jackie Bradley
2Rajai Davis
RF1Mookie Betts
DH1Hanley Ramirez
Starting Pitcher
PosRoleName
S1Chris Sale
2David Price
3Rick Porcello
4Drew Pomeranz
5Steven Wright
6Eduardo Rodriguez
7Doug Fister
Relief Pitcher
PosRoleName
R1Craig Kimbrel
2Addison Reed
3Joe Kelly
4Matt Barnes
5Carson Smith
6Heath Hembree
7Fernando Abad
8Brandon Workman
9Blaine Boyer
10Austin Maddox
11Tyler Thornburg
12Robby Scott
13Roenis Elias
14Hector Velazquez