Player Page

Malcom Floyd | Wide Receiver

Team: San Diego Chargers
Age / DOB:  (32) / 9/8/1981
Ht / Wt:  6'5' / 225
College: Wyoming
Contract: view contract details
Share: 

Latest News

Recent News

The Union-Tribune San Diego calls Malcom Floyd the "runaway" MVP of Chargers camp.
The UTSD gave Floyd the same designation for OTAs and minicamp. Going on 33 and coming off a season where he was limited to two games by a severe neck injury, Floyd isn't going to be a fantasy dynamo, but is worth monitoring as a WR5/6. Even if Floyd returns to his vintage form, the Bolts are going with a run-heavy offense, and featuring Keenan Allen in the passing game. Aug 19 - 8:41 PM

Highest Searched Players over the last 7 days


Player News

Date:

The Union-Tribune says Malcom Floyd was the MVP of Chargers' OTAs and minicamp.

The Chargers wanted to test Floyd as he comes off a scary neck injury, so he was usually the most targeted receiver during practices, and "won more than he lost." It's great news for Philip Rivers and the passing game, as last year's No. 2 man Vincent Brown failed to threaten defenses. We know Floyd is very capable of getting down the field on streak routes and making chunk plays. He's on the WR4/5 radar.
Jul 16 - 9:34 AM

Malcom Floyd (neck) is reportedly looking like his old self at offseason practices.

Floyd has gained full clearance off the scary neck injury he sustained in Week 2 last season. As long as he stays on an upward path, he'll be a heavy favorite to start opposite Keenan Allen as a deep-ball specialist. Floyd posted at least 700 yards and five touchdowns in each of the three seasons before his injury.
Source: ESPN.com
Jun 4 - 12:06 PM

Malcom Floyd (neck) has been fully cleared.

Floyd ran with the first-team offense in Tuesday's OTAs session. "Cleared for everything," Floyd said. "There are no risks. I'm good to go. ... I'm not tentative. I'm very confident and just eager (to play)." Heading into his age-33 season, Floyd's future was in doubt after he went down last September, but he'll be in the driver's seat to start opposite Keenan Allen if he has a healthy and productive camp.
May 27 - 4:22 PM

The Union-Tribune San Diego reports Malcom Floyd (neck) is expected to be cleared to play in 2014.

Floyd met with Dr. Robert Watkins last week and had a conversation with the Chargers on Monday. "The doc said … I'm at risk just like anybody else," Floyd said. "There's not really a worry. … I'm feeling good. I think I feel like my old self." The 32-year-old was injured last September and openly wondered whether he'd ever play again. His return -- one we're still not 100 percent certain will happen -- would be a major boon to the Bolts' offense. Floyd can still run and fill the role as San Diego's deep threat opposite Keenan Allen.
May 19 - 7:40 PM

Malcom Floyd (neck) is participating in voluntary workouts.

Barring a setback, Floyd was always expected to suit up. He's doing so at far less than 100 percent, however. His career remains in limbo, and could remain that way for some time.
Apr 22 - 4:54 PM

The Union-Tribune San Diego confirms Malcom Floyd's (neck) career remains in limbo.

Floyd will participate in next week's voluntary workouts, but his level of participation is expected to be "more limited." Floyd is without a timetable to gain full clearance because it's unclear if he'll ever gain full clearance. Going on 33, Floyd's odds of suiting up in 2014 are no better than 50-50.
Apr 15 - 7:27 PM

Malcom Floyd (neck) will attend voluntary workouts next week.

Floyd has been running and lifting weights for a couple months now and hopes to play this season, though that's still to be determined. Getting back on the field in shorts and shells is a good first step toward a return to the field. The Chargers could really use his vertical playmaking presence opposite Keenan Allen.
Apr 15 - 2:10 PM

Malcom Floyd (neck) has resumed running and has been cleared to begin light weightlifting.

Floyd suffered an injury to a disc in his neck in Week 2 and spent the rest of the season on I.R. Although he's begun running and lifting, Floyd's career remains in serious doubt. Floyd didn't need surgery but still experiences some neck pain and discomfort. He wants to continue playing but acknowledges quality of life is important. Floyd has three young children. He's questionable for OTAs.
Mar 2 - 10:37 AM

Chargers WR Malcom Floyd is scheduled to meet with a spine specialist in the next two weeks.

Floyd is dealing with a potentially career-ending neck injury and remains up in the air for the 2014 season. If he can get clearance to resume his playing career, Floyd will be a candidate for the No. 2 receiver role behind Keenan Allen. He's due just a $2.75 million base salary next season.
Feb 22 - 3:16 PM

The Union-Tribune San Diego reports Chargers WR Malcom Floyd's neck injury could be career-ending.

Floyd was placed on injured reserve in Week 2 and acknowledged he still deals with neck pain caused by the open-field hit. The injury is considered one that players can come back from, but Floyd has yet to be cleared to resume football activities and will visit with a doctor next month to determine his future. "I definitely want to play again," Floyd said. "If my body allows me to play, I'm going to do it." Owed a reasonable $2.75 million base salary, Floyd would be an upgrade on Vincent Brown and Eddie Royal behind Keenan Allen if he can get clearance.
Jan 16 - 9:11 PM

Chargers placed WR Malcom Floyd on injured reserve with a neck injury, ending his season.

Floyd went down in Week 2, and suffered a knee scare in the preseason. In between was his 32nd birthday. Translation, Floyd is no guarantee to be back with the Bolts in 2014 even though he's due $5.75 million through 2015. He's out of guaranteed money after this season. A one-dimensional deep threat, Floyd has never caught more than 56 passes in a season, and has long had durability issues.
Tue, Oct 1, 2013 05:50:00 PM

Chargers declared WR Malcom Floyd, LT King Dunlap, OG Chad Rinehart, OT Jeromey Clary, CB Shareece Wright, QB Brad Sorensen and S Brandon Taylor inactive for Week 4 against the Cowboys.

RT D.J. Fluker (concussion) is active. Mike Harris is starting in Dunlap's place. It's a concern for the Chargers.
Sun, Sep 29, 2013 03:16:00 PM

FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports Malcom Floyd's (neck) "rough estimate" on a timetable for return is a month.

Floyd is "taking it slow, for obvious reasons," per Garafolo. Floyd has a severe neck injury, and at age 32 isn't going to push it. His absence removes any semblance of a downfield threat from the Chargers' passing attack. Floyd can safely be dropped in fantasy leagues. Rookie Keenan Allen is his replacement, working in three-wide packages with Eddie Royal and Vincent Brown.
Fri, Sep 20, 2013 03:19:00 PM

Chargers WR Malcom Floyd (neck) will be wearing a cervical collar for at least a week.

Floyd isn't going to play against the Titans Sunday, leaving Vincent Brown and Keenan Allen as the Chargers outside receivers. Eddie Royal will play the slot. Floyd's scans have been sent to a back and spine specialist and there's no target date for his return. A CT scan was negative.
Source: ESPN.com
Tue, Sep 17, 2013 10:18:00 AM

Depth Charts

Skill Players
PosRoleName
QB1Philip Rivers
2Kellen Clemens
3Brad Sorensen
RB1Ryan Mathews
2Danny Woodhead
3Donald Brown
4Branden Oliver
5Marion Grice
GLB1Ryan Mathews
2Danny Woodhead
3RB1Danny Woodhead
2Ryan Mathews
FB1David Johnson
2Zach Boren
WR11Keenan Allen
2Vincent Brown
3Seyi Ajirotutu
4Javontee Herndon
5Torrence Allen
WR21Malcom Floyd
2Eddie Royal
3Dontrelle Inman
4Tevin Reese
5Micah Hatfield
WR31Eddie Royal
TE1Antonio Gates
2Ladarius Green
3John Phillips
4Jake Byrne
5Ryan Otten
K1Nick Novak