Player Page

Thad Lewis | Quarterback

Team: Buffalo Bills
Age / DOB:  (26) / 11/19/1987
Ht / Wt:  6'2' / 219
College: Duke
Contract: view contract details
Share: 

Latest News

Recent News

Thad Lewis and Jeff Tuel are competing for the Bills' No. 2 quarterback job.
With E.J. Manuel coming off three knee surgeries and proving to be rather injury-prone as a rookie, it's a battle worth monitoring from afar. Lewis entered the spring as the heavy favorite, but Tuel impressed during OTAs and "earned himself some more reps." The two have been splitting second-team work the first couple days of training camp. Lewis was far better than UDFA Tuel in 2013. Jul 22 - 1:39 PM

Highest Searched Players over the last 7 days


Player News

Date:

The Bills are "very high" on Thad Lewis as their backup quarterback.

Lewis held his own in five starts filling in for E.J. Manuel last year, passing for 1,092 yards and a 4:3 touchdown-to-interception ratio. He's reuniting with QB coach Todd Downing, who came over with Jim Schwartz this offseason, and not expected to face competition for the backup job. The Bills are hoping that both Lewis and Manuel can take the next step in their development this year.
Apr 25 - 7:32 PM

Thad Lewis completed 16-of-29 passes for 247 yards and a touchdown in Buffalo's 34-20, Week 17 loss to the Patriots.

Once again, Lewis wasn't the problem for the Bills. E.J. Manuel's fill-in made quick decisions and avoided mistakes at a rain-drenched Gillette Stadium. Lewis was hurt dearly by a ridiculous T.J. Graham drop on a fourth-quarter 4th-and-2. Lewis inarguably out-played Manuel this season, but didn't exactly bury him six feet underground. Manuel will return as the Bills' starter, though perhaps on a shorter leash. Lewis is signed for $645,000, and will undoubtedly be back in Buffalo.
Sun, Dec 29, 2013 08:01:00 PM

Thad Lewis completed 15-of-25 passes for 193 yards with no touchdowns and one interception in Sunday's Week 16 win over the Dolphins.

Subbing for E.J. Manuel (knee), Lewis wasn't asked to do too much. That's because the Bills absolutely dominated a sleepwalking Dolphins team with the run game and their defense. Manuel is fully expected to start Week 17, but Lewis has shown enough this season to make a case as a long-term backup. He's 77-of-128 (60.1 percent) for 845 yards with three touchdowns and three interceptions in four appearances on the year.
Sun, Dec 22, 2013 04:28:00 PM

Thad Lewis will make the start in Sunday's Week 16 game against the Dolphins.

E.J. Manuel sprained his knee last week against the Jaguars and has been ruled out due to swelling. Coach Doug Marrone feels Lewis gives the team its best chance to win. Lewis started three games for the Bills earlier in the year, leading Buffalo to a 23-21 road win at Miami in Week 7. He's not a fantasy option.
Wed, Dec 18, 2013 01:54:00 PM

Practicing in full for Week 10, Bills QB Thad Lewis (ribs) is expected to back up E.J. Manuel (knee) against the Steelers.

Lewis couldn't go in Week 9, leaving starting duties to undrafted rookie Jeff Tuel. Lewis would need another Manuel injury to reclaim the starting job. Buffalo's quarterback of the future, Manuel wouldn't be benched for simply struggling.
Thu, Nov 7, 2013 07:27:00 PM

Thad Lewis (ribs) practiced in full Wednesday.

Lewis and E.J. Manuel (knee) split first-team reps, with Manuel handling the majority of them. Manuel is expected to return this week, barring any setbacks. The Bills are just preparing Lewis in case something goes awry with Manuel.
Wed, Nov 6, 2013 01:51:00 PM

Bills coach Doug Marrone told reporters Monday that Thad Lewis (ribs) will return to practice this week.

Lewis threw passes on Monday and appears to be recovering on schedule from his Week 8 rib injury, which caused him to be inactive for Sunday's loss to Buffalo. As for Week 10, Marrone was noncommittal on E.J. Manuel's (knee) availability, stating "we'll get him out there and see." We're totally guessing on a Monday, but would give Manuel a 60 percent chance of starting against Pittsburgh, with Lewis at 35 percent and Jeff "Tuel Time" Tuel at 5 percent.
Mon, Nov 4, 2013 03:23:00 PM

Thad Lewis (ribs) is inactive for Week 9 against the Chiefs.

Jeff Tuel will get the start, and Matt Flynn will back him up.
Sun, Nov 3, 2013 11:33:00 AM

Thad Lewis (ribs, flu) is listed as doubtful for Week 9 against the Chiefs.

Lewis missed practice Wednesday and Thursday before getting in a limited session Friday. The doubtful tag means the Bills believe he has a 25 percent chance to play. Jeff Tuel and Matt Flynn have been splitting first-team reps in practice this week with Tuel getting the majority of the snaps Friday. If Lewis is forced to sit out, we'd expect undrafted Tuel to make the start. Fire up the Kansas City defense as the No. 1 overall unit for Week 9.
Fri, Nov 1, 2013 12:19:00 PM

Thad Lewis (ribs, illness) is practicing Friday.

Lewis missed the last two days of practice with a rib injury suffered in last week’s loss. His level of participation still isn't known, but Lewis didn't throw any passes during the portion of practice open to the media. The Bills are planning to make a decision on his status Friday. If healthy, Lewis will start over Jeff Tuel and Matt Flynn against the Chiefs.
Fri, Nov 1, 2013 11:07:00 AM

Bills coach Doug Marrone said he plans to make a decision on QB Thad Lewis (ribs, illness) Friday.

Lewis hasn't practiced the last two days and is considered questionable to play in Week 9 against the Chiefs. If Lewis can't go, the Bills will start either Jeff Tuel or Matt Flynn at quarterback.
Fri, Nov 1, 2013 08:35:00 AM

Speaking Thursday, Bills coach Doug Marrone classified QB Thad Lewis (ribs, illness) as 50-50 for Week 9.

Marrone said he was "not ready to make a decision" on Lewis' status, but that he hoped the "league source" that reported Lewis will go "is right." Most signs suggest Lewis will start against the Chiefs, but desperate two-QB league owners can't take his status for granted.
Thu, Oct 31, 2013 01:52:00 PM

Thad Lewis (ribs, illness) is not practicing Thursday.

Lewis has some soreness and is feeling a little under the weather, but he's still expected to suit up for Sunday's game against the Chiefs. It's good news for desperate owners trotting Stevie Johnson out there. Lewis' backups are Jeff Tuel and Matt Flynn.
Thu, Oct 31, 2013 11:43:00 AM

A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that Thad Lewis (ribs) is expected to play in Week 9 despite Wednesday's missed practice.

PFT allows Lewis may also miss Thursday's session, but he's fully expected to start over Jeff Tuel and Matt Flynn against the 8-0 Chiefs. Coach Doug Marrone has already stated E.J. Manuel (knee) will not be playing this week.
Wed, Oct 30, 2013 08:30:00 PM

Depth Charts

Skill Players
PosRoleName
QB1E.J. Manuel
2Thad Lewis
3Jeff Tuel
4Dennis Dixon
RB1C.J. Spiller
2Fred Jackson
3Bryce Brown
4Anthony Dixon
5Ronnie Wingo
GLB1Fred Jackson
2Bryce Brown
3RB1Fred Jackson
2C.J. Spiller
FB1Frank Summers
2Evan Rodriguez
WR11Sammy Watkins
2Marquise Goodwin
3Chris Hogan
4Chris Summers
5Naaman Roosevelt
WR21Robert Woods
2Mike Williams
3T.J. Graham
4Marcus Easley
5Kevin Elliott
WR31Mike Williams
TE1Scott Chandler
2Tony Moeaki
3Lee Smith
4Chris Gragg
5Dominique Jones
K1Dan Carpenter
2Dustin Hopkins