Player Page

Jonathan Martin | Tackle

Team: San Francisco 49ers
Age / DOB:  (25) / 8/19/1989
Ht / Wt:  6'5' / 312
College: Stanford
Contract: view contract details
Share: 

Latest News

Recent News

ESPN 49ers reporter Bill Williamson believes San Francisco would turn to OT Jonathan Martin if G Alex Boone's holdout lingers into the season.
It is highly unlikely this situation develops, but if it does Williamson sees Martin as a more likely replacement for Boone than career-backup G Joe Looney. Martin has never played guard and is well behind after losing 12 pounds and missing three weeks of practice fighting a bout with mononucleosis. The 49ers' best-case scenario would be for Boone to report to camp. Jun 21 - 1:57 PM
Source: ESPN.com

Highest Searched Players over the last 7 days


Player News

Date:

49ers OT Jonathan Martin missed more than three weeks of OTA practice due to a bout with mononucleosis.

After losing about 12 pounds due to the illness, Martin finally returned to the field on Monday. Still, missing any offseason work is not good for a player on the roster bubble whose desire to play football has been questioned. Martin, who was at the center of Miami's Bullygate scandal last year, did say that the 49ers' locker room is a "great environment" where players take care of each other.
Jun 11 - 8:50 AM

Updating an earlier item, the 49ers acquired OT Jonathan Martin for a conditional seventh-round pick in 2015.

The condition is that Martin must make the 49ers' 53-man roster. It means the Dolphins will receive no compensation if Martin doesn't make the team. Martin is the favorite for swing-tackle duties, but is far from a lock to earn a spot.
Mar 11 - 11:12 PM

49ers acquired OT Jonathan Martin from the Dolphins for a conditional draft pick.

The conditional pick is almost certainly a day-three selection. It's possible the Dolphins could end up with no compensation if Martin doesn't make the 49ers' 53-man roster, but that's just speculation. Martin had been on a leave of absence from the Dolphins since Week 9. A 2012 second-rounder, Martin hasn't looked like he can cut it at the NFL level, but was miscast as a left tackle last season. Reuniting with college coach Jim Harbaugh should be a boon for his confidence, and perhaps his game. He'll fight for swing-tackle duties in camp.
Mar 11 - 10:10 PM

Andrew Luck said he would 100 percent be in favor of the Colts acquiring Dolphins OT Jonathan Martin.

"I’d say I love Jon, we had a great time at Stanford together, still stay in touch with him regularly and I think he’s a great man," Luck said. The Stanford connection is a deep one in Indianapolis. In addition to Luck, OC Pep Hamilton, WR Griff Whalen and TE Coby Fleener all were part of the Cardinal with Martin. It doesn't hurt that the Colts are in serious need of offensive line help.
Feb 26 - 7:42 PM

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross expects to meet with Jonathan Martin "soon."

Martin is universally considered done with the Dolphins, but Ross still wants to meet face-to-face before releasing or trading him. "I haven't heard what his feelings are," Ross said, somewhat incredibly. "I think I've read the report. I think he wants to talk to me as much as I'm prepared to listen. When you've dealt with something, it's nice to understand it a little bit more by hearing from the person directly." The meeting will be perfunctory. Martin is done in Miami.
Feb 25 - 9:59 PM

During a meeting with coach Joe Philbin, GM Dennis Hickey and CEO Dawn Apante, Jonathan Martin's representation conveyed to the Dolphins that Martin isn't comfortable returning to Miami.

Per CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora, Martin's agents told the Dolphins that a return to the team "wouldn't work." Martin still wants to play in 2014, but not in Miami. In the meeting at the Combine, Hickey reportedly did all the talking and expressed a heavy interest in retaining the third-year tackle, while Philbin was "staring daggers across the room." Philbin reportedly blames Martin's reps for the Martin-Richie Incognito fiasco reaching the level it has. The Dolphins are in the market for four starting offensive linemen. C Mike Pouncey is safe.
Source: CBS Sports
Feb 25 - 12:52 PM

A source informed the Boston Globe that Jonathan Martin has a "zero percent chance" of ever playing for the Dolphins again.

The Globe's Ben Volin was a former Dolphins beat writer, so he has connections in Miami. Martin has burned too many bridges inside the Dolphins' locker room and has played a role in head trainer Kevin O'Neill and OL coach Jim Turner losing their jobs. Martin should be able to get a look-see from another club, though the aforementioned source doubts it. He's still under contract.
Feb 23 - 11:24 AM

The Dolphins plan to huddle with Jonathan Martin's "camp" as soon as next week's Scouting Combine.

Per FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo, Martin "wants to play" football in 2014, and has yet to request a trade. The trade demand may occur in Indy, especially with OL coach Jim Turner still in the Dolphins' employ. The most likely landing spot at this point for Martin appears to be San Francisco, where coach Jim Harbaugh knows Martin well from Stanford and supported him in the Wells Report.
Feb 14 - 3:34 PM

The Sacramento Bee's Matt Barrows believes findings in the Wells Report make San Francisco a possible landing spot for Jonathan Martin.

He'd be a backup to Joe Staley and Anthony Davis, but reuniting with college coach Jim Harbaugh could potentially get 24-year-old Martin's NFL career back on track. "(Harbaugh) told us that he had never doubted Martin's tenacity, work ethic and dedication to the game, and that he had never seen Martin exhibit problems with social adjustment," the Wells Report states. "Coach Harbaugh told us he believed that Martin likely could continue to have a successful career in the NFL." Martin's agent insists his client is now in a "great place," and the Wells Report can serve as a "tool for him to heal."
Feb 14 - 12:56 PM

NFL special investigator Ted Wells released his Richie Incognito-Jonathan Martin report, and concluded three Dolphins offensive linemen "engaged in a pattern of harassment" directed at Martin.

"The report concludes that ... Richie Incognito, John Jerry and Mike Pouncey, engaged in a pattern of harassment directed at not only Jonathan Martin, but also another young Dolphins offensive lineman and an assistant trainer," Wells stated. "The report finds that the assistant trainer repeatedly was the object of racial slurs and other racially derogatory language; that the other offensive lineman was subjected to homophobic name-calling and improper physical touching; and that Martin was taunted on a persistent basis with sexually explicit remarks and at times ridiculed with racial insults and other offensive comments." The "harassment" was deemed a "contributing factor" in Martin's decision to leave the team. The report paints a nasty picture for Incognito and the Dolphins, and seems to favor Martin. How coach Joe Philbin had no idea this was going on in his locker room, we have no clue.

The Miami Herald doesn't believe OT Jonathan Martin will ever play for the Dolphins again.

This is on the heels of an NFL Network report that Martin's reps have been talking with the Dolphins about a possible return to the team in 2014. We just don't see how he could possibly ever step foot back in that locker room after some teammates viewed him as a quitter, while the others simply didn't care if Martin ever showed his face again. Martin has ruffled too many feathers in Miami. He's fully expected to be released or traded for a late-round pick.
Feb 13 - 12:20 PM

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport believes OT Jonathan Martin could return to the Dolphins in 2014.

Conventional wisdom had been the Dolphins would cut Martin, but Rapoport said Martin's camp and Miami have been in contact over the last several weeks. Martin returning to the team he abandoned in the middle of the season would require the rebuilding of several charred bridges, but we have seen stranger things happen in the NFL.
Source: NFL.com
Feb 12 - 10:10 PM

Richie Incognito tweeted Wednesday that Jonathan Martin contemplated suicide in May 2013 because "he wasn't playing well" and "felt worthless."

Take into consideration that Incognito is a known headcase and no stranger to drama. Incognito is clearly frustrated with the delay in NFL special investigator Ted Wells' findings being released. They were supposed to be out last Thursday but got pushed back to an unspecified date. Incognito has now resorted to Twitter to lash out at Martin. "Dear Jon Martin..... The truth is going to bury you and your entire 'camp'. You could have told the truth the entire time," Incognito said. This is likely going to get uglier before it's over.
Feb 12 - 3:47 PM

An anonymous general manager tells ESPN's Jarrett Bell there will "definitely" be a market for OT Jonathan Martin once he's released by the Dolphins.

Technically, Martin is a candidate to be traded, but it's an extreme long shot. Martin is still only two years removed from being the No. 42 overall pick of the draft, and has experience at both tackle spots. That, of course, ignores his 2013 struggles on the field and off-the-field melodrama. Martin had a rough rookie season, as well. He's unlikely to draw interest as a starter.
Feb 6 - 4:05 PM

Depth Charts

Skill Players
PosRoleName
QB1Colin Kaepernick
2Blaine Gabbert
3Josh Johnson
RB1Frank Gore
2Carlos Hyde
3Alfonso Smith
4Phillip Tanner
GLB1Frank Gore
2Carlos Hyde
3RB1Frank Gore
2Carlos Hyde
FB1Bruce Miller
2Trey Millard
WR11Michael Crabtree
2Stevie Johnson
3Bruce Ellington
4Kassim Osgood
WR21Anquan Boldin
2Brandon Lloyd
3Quinton Patton
4Trindon Holliday
WR31Stevie Johnson
TE1Vernon Davis
2Asante Cleveland
K1Phil Dawson