Player Page

Gary Bettman | Center

Team: College Player
Age / DOB:  (63) / 6/2/1952

Latest News

Recent News

During his hit on TSN 690 in Montreal, ESPN/TSN hockey insider Pierre Lebrun said that NHL expansion isn't guaranteed.
"Gary Bettman cautioned to governors and owners that this is a slow process," Lebrun said after talking to different governors around the NHL on Tuesday. "(Bettman) specifically said, by the way, that 'we may expand by two, we may expand by one or we may expand by zero.' And I think that's important to remember here because I've found that the league is saying this more often in the last month or so than they used to, the possibility of not expanding." Sep 29 - 9:37 PM

Highest Searched Players over the last 7 days

Player News


According to Yahoo's Joshua Cooper, Las Vegas has also advanced to phase three of the expansion process.

The Quebecor confirmed that they have entered into "Phase III" as well. The NHL will now review the business plans and revenue projections of Las Vegas and Quebec City. If everything goes well then expansion franchises can be awarded as early as September.
Aug 21 - 7:38 PM

Quebec City has been retained for the third phase of the expansion process.

The organization in charge of the bid made the announcement on Friday via Twitter. Quebec and Las Vegas were advanced to the second phase in early August. We don't know where the Las Vegas bid stands, but that news could follow shortly.
Aug 21 - 5:14 PM

The NHL has announced that the preseason schedule will begin Sunday, Sept. 20.

Boston will play New Jersey, while Florida and Nashville will face off in a split-squad doubleheader. There will be 104 exhibition games over a 15-day span. Check out the source link for the full schedule.
Aug 21 - 1:27 PM

Quebec City and Las Vegas have entered the second phase of the NHL's expansion application process.

The third phase is expected to begin in mid-August and conclude on Sept. 4. After that, the bid candidates will be sent to the NHL's board of governors.
Aug 5 - 5:11 PM

The NHL has reached a six-year digital media rights partnership deal with Major League Baseball Advanced Media.

MLBAM will run GameCenter Live, Centre Ice, the NHL Network, and the individual team websites. "As the market leader, MLBAM is uniquely qualified to assist us in giving hockey fans a richer, more immersive experience with the game," said Commissioner Gary Bettman. "MLBAM is also the right partner because they have the expertise to help us deliver new and exciting products to our fans, who crave compelling digital content. We couldn't have North America better covered than with the power of NBC, Rogers, TVA and MLBAM – an incredible convergence of technical, creative and production talent that is great news for our fans."
Aug 4 - 5:27 PM

Fan interest in the shootout means that it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

The NHL introduced three-on-three overtime last month as a way to curtail the amount of games decided by the skills competition. However, commissioner Gary Bettman doesn’t think it will go away, at least while he’s in charge. "I think to the extent some people wanted to see fewer shootouts, this will get us there, and that’s fine. The shootout isn’t going anywhere," Bettman said. "You go to a building during a shootout, everybody’s on their feet, nobody is leaving, which is what it was designed to do. It’s exciting, it’s fun, it’s entertaining, and so if we’re going to try and reduce the number of shootouts, this may do it."
Jul 26 - 4:08 PM

Gary Bettman has already said that he's looking forward to attending the Islanders' first game in Brooklyn.

"I'm generally in places where something special is happening," Bettman said. "Whether it's hoisting the Stanley Cup banner, whether it's the first game in a new building, that's what I do...I think everybody's very excited about their future in Brooklyn ...It'll be different but it's a nice place to go and the Nassau Coliseum was and is past its due date and so the Islanders needed a new facility. Was [Barclays] built especially for hockey? No, but it'll be great." The commissioner also added that the arena is just 22 minutes away from his desk.
Source: Newsday
Jul 25 - 8:52 AM

The NHL has confirmed that it received expansion bids from Bill Foley to put a team in Las Vegas and another from Quebecor to create a Quebec City team.

"Our purpose, in initiating the expansion process in the manner we did, was not only to explore the possibility of admitting new members to the NHL but also, at the outset, to set realistic guideposts to distinguish between bona fide expressions of interest (i.e., those which have at least substantial ownership capabilities and an arena or the realistic possibility of an arena) from those indications of potential interest which were, at best, merely hopes or aspirations. Apparently, only Mr. Foley and Quebecor have the confidence in their ability to secure an arena and suitable ownership capability to move forward with this process," the NHL said in a statement. The NHL is now exclusively focusing on Las Vegas and Quebec City when it comes to its current process. That doesn't necessarily guarantee that Las Vegas and Quebec City will be getting NHL franchises, but it does seem like those will be the two locations if the NHL does expand in the not too distant future.
Jul 21 - 11:41 AM

Las Vegas and Quebec City were reportedly the only cities to file expansion bids to the NHL.

Other perspective locations such as Seattle, Kansas City, and Hamilton, passed on the opportunity to attempt to secure an NHL franchise. That's an interesting development because the declining Canadian Dollar might make Quebec City a less attractive candidate. NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman previously made it clear that the NHL still might not expand, so just because Las Vegas and Quebec City were the only two bidders doesn't automatically mean that they will be granted NHL franchises.
Jul 20 - 4:40 PM

Prospective Seattle NHL owner Victor Coleman will not submit an expansion bid by the NHL’s July 20 deadline.

Coleman was one of Seattle’s best hopes to bring hockey to the city, but he will not pay the $10-million application fee until he finalizes the location for a new stadium. Coleman is relying on $200 million in public funding for a new arena, but the City will not provide the money until an NBA franchise is awarded. Coleman says he is still committed to bring hockey to Seattle, but Connecticut-based investment banker Ray Bartoszek now has a chance to get the job done. Bartoszek is in the process of buying land to build a privately funded arena, though it is still unknown whether he will submit a proposal to the NHL by Monday.
Source: King 5 News
Jul 18 - 10:08 AM

The National Hockey League and the Kontinental Hockey League failed to reach a transfer agreement on Thursday.

As Deputy commissioner Bill Daly sees it, "Ultimately, the KHL wasn’t interested in a player transfer agreement." In light of the increased Russian presence in the NHL, and North American presence in the KHL, the two sides were looking to create an agreement similar to what the NHL has with other European leagues. Essentially a fee-based transfer agreement. Without a new agreement however, the two leagues will continue to honor their memorandum of understanding through June 2016. But that doesn't mean there isn't hope for KHL president Dmitry Chernyshenko, "We will continue to work toward this goal and strive to reach a far better level of co-operation with our friends across the Atlantic."
Jul 2 - 10:24 PM

Anthony Leblanc, Coyotes owner, and NHL deny team moving to Las Vegas.

The New York Post claimed two unidentified sources indicated the Coyotes were being sold to billionaire William Foley and moved to Las Vegas. However, when the story was published Tuesday evening, Bettman said the story "was garbage." Leblanc said the story was 'one hundred per cent false. There's no truth to it. I'm not an unidentified source, I'm a principal, so I think I should know." The Arizona Coyotes saga is very interesting to say the least.
Jul 1 - 3:52 AM

Board of Governors OKs 3-on-3 OT, coach's challenge.

The change in overtime will see the League go to a 3-on-3 format for a five-minute period in regular-season games tied at the end of regulation. Previously, the League played 4-on-4 overtime. Regular-season games tied at the end of overtime will continue to be decided by a shootout. The coach's challenge will be limited to goals scored on potential offside or goalie-interference plays. The Board also approved a change to faceoff procedures that will have the defensive player place his stick on the ice first in all faceoffs not held at the center-ice dot. In the past, the visiting team player had to declare first; under the new rule, the only time the visiting player must declare first will be on center-ice faceoffs.
Jun 25 - 3:58 AM

Gary Bettman announced the NHL is beginning a formal expansion process.

"Over the past several years we have received numerous expressions of interest from potential markets and ownership groups that have indicated an interest in joining the National Hockey League. The Board decided today to examine those expressions more formally and also to welcome any other groups or markets that may be considering pursuit of an NHL team," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. "The fact that we are beginning this process does not necessarily mean that any expansion teams will be granted as a result of this process." He also confirmed that groups in Seattle, Las Vegas and Quebec have interest in an expansion team. The NHL will probably accept formal applications for expansion in early July and Bill Daly said the earliest possible date an expansion team could play is 2017-18 season.
Jun 24 - 5:44 PM

Depth Charts