Rockies general Jeff Bridich told FOX Sports' Jon Morosi on Tuesday that it's "highly, highly unlikely" either Troy Tulowitzki or Carlos Gonzalez will be dealt before Opening Day.
There's been some debate about whether the Rockies actually want to move them at all, but Tulowitzki is coming off hip surgery and Gonzalez is working his way back from knee surgery, so teams likely want to see how they look in the spring and/or the early part of the season before seriously thinking about the possibility. Tulo is owed $114 million over the next six seasons while CarGo is owed $53 million over the next three seasons.
Johan Santana has been scratched from the remainder of the Venezuelan Winter League playoffs.
Santana missed a start last week due to shoulder discomfort, but no structural damage was found and he was hoping to return to action quickly. It's unclear whether the discomfort has lingered or not, but that possibility has been officially ruled out. The 35-year-old will now likely have to prove his health with throwing sessions in order to sign with an MLB team.
Royals and OF Jarrod Dyson avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $1.225 million contract.
Dyson, who was arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter, requested $1.6 million and was offered $900,000 from the Royals when figures were exchanged earlier this month. The two sides ultimately settled for a little under the midpoint, but Dyson can make up the difference ($25,000) if he reaches 350 plate appearances in 2015. The 30-year-old batted .269/.324/.327 with 36 stolen bases last season and figures to have a semi-regular role in Kansas City's outfield again in 2015.
Angels signed RHP Frank Herrmann to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Herrmann returned from Tommy John surgery last season and posted an ugly 6.37 ERA over 28 appearances with the Indians' Triple-A affiliate prior to being released in August. The 30-year-old is likely to serve as minor league bullpen depth.
Ben Badler of Baseball America reports that MLB is requiring a written document from the Office Foreign Asset and Control (OFAC) before Yoan Moncada and other players from Cuba can sign with a team.
It has been reported that OFAC is holding up the process, but it's actually MLB who is making it harder for Cuban players to sign. Moncada has established permanent residence in Guatemala, so he has qualified for OFAC's "general license," which should suffice for him to sign with a team. However, MLB has required players to apply for the specific license, which is a written document from OFAC. This is the reason for the delay with Moncada and other Cuban defectors like Hector Olivera and Andy Ibanez. MLB used to do things differently, as Yaisel Puig didn't need the written document when he signed with the Dodgers, but it appears that MLB is protecting themselves from the possibility of players producing false residency papers.
Royals signed C J.C. Boscan to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Boscan, 35, spent all of last season with the Dodgers' Triple-A affiliate and hit .168/.259/.237 with one home run and seven RBI over 52 games. He'll serve as organizational catching depth for Kansas City.
MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez reports that Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada has had private workouts for the Brewers, Rangers, Giants, Yankees, Red Sox, Padres and Dodgers this month.
Sanchez adds that Dodgers manager Don Mattingly and president Andrew Friedman were both present at Moncada's workout in front of the club on Monday. Moncada still hasn't been cleared by Office of Foreign Asset and Control (OFAC) to sign with a major league team, but when that happens he's expected to command a deal in the $30-40 million range. The club that signs him will also have to pay a lot in penalties for going over the international spending limit.
Indians manager Terry Francona said Monday that he wants Michael Bourn to run more in 2015.
"We've talked to Bournie a lot," said Francona. "He's one of the most conscientious and nicest kids you'll ever meet. But quite frankly, whether it's because of injuries or not, he hasn't been the kind of guy who wreaks the havoc that we kind of envisioned when we signed him when it comes to stolen bases." Bourn averaged 51 stolen bases in his first five full seasons but has just 33 total over the last two seasons and has been caught 18 times. He tore his hamstring at the end of 2013 and had leg issues for much of 2014, which no doubt affected him on the bases. Bourn is healthy now, though, and has been training with former Olympian sprinter Leroy Burrell this offseason. He's now 32, but Bourn could rebound a bit in the stolen base department in 2015.