Player News - Crystal Palace

Date: Team: Pos:

Just 24 hours after Crystal Palace played down fears over Wilfried Zaha’s knee injury, reports suggest the 24-year-old could be missing for up-to a month.

Zaha posted an image of his right knee in a hinged support on Instagram with the words ‘God shall protect me’ following the 3-nil home defeat by Huddersfield Town. However, the post was quickly removed, and when the club were asked for an update on Monday, they insisted the winger was wearing the protective brace for recovery as a precaution. But, it now appears that those initial concerns were well-placed as news on Tuesday confirmed that Zaha is likely to spend the next 4 weeks sidelined. The winger is expected to miss the trip to Anfield, and the home clash with Swansea, although there is hope that he could return to face Burnley after the international break. Frank de Boer may look to Andros Townsend while Yohan Cabaye and James McArthur are closing in on a return after featuring for the development side.
Source: Daily Mail
Aug 15 - 12:16 PM

Crystal Palace is off to another inauspicious start with a 3-0 loss to Premier League newboys Huddersfield Town.

The Eagles put themselves behind the eight-ball from early on with Joel Ward scoring an own goal in the 23rd minute. During a scramble inside the Palace penalty area, Huddersfield defender Mathias Jorgensen fizzed a ball back in front of the goalkeeper's box, which hit Ward and caromed into the goal. Palace found itself down two just a couple minutes later with a goal from Steve Mounie, who the club struggled to contain after his two-goal showing. Ultimately, Palace looks to be lacking at the back with two young players in Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Jairo Riedewald as part of the back three. After missing out on Bruno Martins-Indi and Mamadou Sakho, Saturday's result might jumpstart the search for a defender.
Source: NBC Sports
Aug 12 - 12:10 PM

Crystal Palace manager Frank de Boer confirmed that James McArthur and Yohan Cabye are out Saturday.

Said the new manager: "James McArthur and Yohan Cabaye are both fit and training but not ready to be in contention for the starting eleven but are both looking and good and will continue to work on their fitness by getting game time in under 23 games." Expect Luka Milivojevic and Jason Puncheon to anchor the midfield along with Ruben Loftus-Cheek in a more advanced role. The club is also without Connor Wickham and Bakary Sako as the attackers recover from injury. But the good news is Pape Souare, who was involved in a car crash last year, is set to return with the U23s in the near future after nearly a year out.
Aug 12 - 8:03 AM

Timothy Fosu-Mensah will join Crystal Palace on loan for the coming season.

The accomplished young full-back, who is also comfortable in midfield, has been signed by Frank de Boer as part of his ongoing campaign to strength his defensive options. He already signed Jaïro Riedewald from his former club Ajax and has made overtures to Arsenal about Callum Chambers and Porto about Bruno Martins-Indi, who was at Stoke last season. Fosu-Mensah is expected to act as cover for first-choice right-back Joel Ward. The 19 year old has made 12 senior appearances for Manchester United, 8 of which came under Mourinho last year. He signed a contract last October which will keep him at Old Trafford until 2020.
Source: BBC Sport
Aug 8 - 1:23 PM

Crystal Palace announced the signing of Ajax defender Jairo Riedewald in an £8 million move on Monday.

With a move for Ruben Loftus-Cheek and the 20-year-old Riedewald, De Boer is making it clear that youth is the way forward for Palace. De Boer gave Riedewald his senior debut at Ajax in 2013 and will now reunited in south London. Riedewald can be utilized in a variety of roles as a center-half, left-back and defensive midfielder. Said the Dutch international: "I am very pleased to be joining Crystal Palace and after speaking with the gaffer a couple of weeks ago I was delighted to have the opportunity to come over and play in the Premier League. The Premier League is a great competition to be involved in and it is a great opportunity to be working under Frank de Boer once again having been with him at Ajax."
Jul 25 - 11:41 AM

New Crystal Palace manager Frank De Boer shot down rumors that Christian Benteke is looking to leave the club.

Recent reports claim that Benteke is unhappy at the club and interested in a summer exit following interest from Everton. But De Boer said the club has no inclination to sell the Belgian forward who arrived last summer as the club's £27 million record signing after his 15-goal first season. "The only thing I know is that he [Benteke] is happy here and I really want him to stay here. He had a great impact last season, especially in the second half of the season. He's crucial for us and we definitely don't want to see him go."
Source: Sky Sports
Jul 18 - 1:35 PM

Loic Remy looks set to leave Stamford Bridge bringing to an end a disappointing few years at the club.

The 30-year-old has struggled due to a number of setbacks since joining the Blues from Queens Park Rangers and Antonio Conte has given Remy the green light to leave should Chelsea sign another striker. Following an impressive debut season, 7-goals from six Premier League starts in only 665 minutes, Remy then struggled due to persistent calf and groin problems and in his following campaign managing less than 5 hours of first-team football. Limited opportunities behind Diego Costa and the signing of Belgium international Michy Batshuayi left Remy out in the cold and he was shipped out on-loan to Crystal Palace. However, the move proved disastrous as his injury problems continued. Chelsea will now look to cut their losses, although his recent record has scared off a number of potential suitors who expressed concerns over his fitness. But, his chequered past doesn’t appear to have dampened the spirits of Everton and Southampton who are prepared to meet Chelsea’s £5 million valuation.
Source: The Sun
Jul 17 - 5:29 PM

Chelsea has officially loaned out midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek to Crystal Palace for the upcoming season.

The 21-year-old will get his first real shot at the Premier League after making 22 league appearances over the course of the last three seasons, including just six substitute appearances last season. Loftus-Cheek has been a staple of the England U21 side, notching 17 caps since 2015. His versatility as a midfielder who can play in attacking or defensive roles will help him break into a Palace midfield stocked with competition in Jason Puncheon, Luka Milivojevic and James McArthur. "I had the option of coming to Palace and I thought that it would be great for me," Loftus-Cheek said. "I live not too far away, I was born in Lewisham and Palace is good club so I thought it’s a good chance to play here and be a part of the team. They have a very strong team and I’d like to be a part of that this season."
Jul 12 - 12:54 PM

Chelsea midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek is expected to join Crystal Palace on a season-long loan this week.

The 22-year-old will become the latest Chelsea academy graduate to seal a temporary move away from Stamford Bridge to a fellow Premier League side, following Tammy Abraham's switch to Swansea City and Kasy Palmers' move to Huddersfield Town. Loftus-Cheek made 11 appearances last season under Antonio Conte, but all six of his Premier League outings came from the bench. The loan, which according to Sky Sports is expected to go through in the next 24, will mark a chance for the England Under-21 midfielder to gain more top-flight experience in England.
Source: Sky Sports
Jul 10 - 1:58 PM

Crystal Palace has filled its vacant managerial role by bringing in former Ajax manager Frank de Boer.

The Dutchman most recently coached at Inter Milan at the start of last season after leaving Ajax, where he at one point won four straight league titles. De Boer arrives on a three-year contract at Selhurst Park, bringing his attacking pedigree to the side after manager Sam Allardyce's resignation at the end of the season. Said de Boer: "I’m very excited because it’s been a long period where I haven’t managed a squad, but I’m also excited to be a manager in the biggest league in the world. Crystal Palace is a great club with fantastic facilities to work in and a fantastic fanbase, so I can’t wait to start."
Jun 27 - 10:37 PM

Crystal Palace are expected to unveil their new manager during a press conference set for 2pm BST on Monday after agreeing a deal over the weekend.

It is understood that Frank de Boer, 47, who has been out of work since he was sacked by Italian side Inter Milan 8 months ago, is set to take charge of the Eagles. De Boer is the only manager in Eredivisie history to win four consecutive titles, doing so in his first four seasons at Ajax, before he stepped down after narrowly missing out on his fifth to PSV Eindhoven. His brother Ronald explained Frank's enthusiasm for the new challenge ahead: "He is very excited, of course. It's the biggest league – everybody knows it, everybody's watching the Premier League. You can do really something if you have the chance, because there is money involved and you can buy players. It's an interesting league to see what you're capable of as a manager."
Source: The Mirror
Jun 26 - 6:57 AM

Crystal Palace concluded a major piece of business by signing winger Wilfried Zaha to a contract extension.

Signing Zaha to a new deal was one of the club's highest priorities, which now includes finding a new manager following Sam Allardyce's abrupt resignation. But at least Steve Parish and company know that the 24-year-old is committed for the next five years through the 2022 season amid rumors he could leave for Spurs this summer. Said Zaha about the new deal: "Palace is in my heart and I don't think the story is over. I spoke with Steve and I think I still have more to give this Club. The supporters have been amazing and I want us to do more than just stay in the League next year. I would like to thank the Chairman for being a big part of my journey and his fellow owners for backing me and rewarding my progression. Let's do this!"
May 26 - 6:35 AM

Andros Townsend has went under the knife in an attempt to cure a persistent and ongoing Achilles problem.

The Crystal Palace winger struggled throughout the latter part of the campaign, with his workload being carefully monitored between matches, and a decision has now been taken to have surgery to ensure he is fully fit for the start of the new season. Townsend, who was heavily linked with a move back to his former club Newcastle during the January transfer window, was pivotal in helping the Eagles retain their top-flight status. He will now miss the upcoming England internationals against Scotland and France. Townsend won the Premier League’s Carling Goal of the Month award for March for his sensational 80-yard solo effort at the Hawthorns while he was instrumental in the 3-0 win over Arsenal. Townsend has enjoyed his most successful season to date, certainly in terms of league minutes played [2528], and the 25-year-old will be looking to build upon his successful start at Selhurst Park.
Source: Sky Sports
May 25 - 4:54 AM

After surviving yet another relegation test, Sam Allardyce has called his time at Crystal Palace after less than one season.

Contrary to initial reports, Allardyce said he is resigning in order to spend more time with his family and get away from managing, not due to a dispute over the club's transfer budget and future plans. His exit marks the end of a turbulent year that started with earning, then losing his job as England manager before starting on at Palace in December. Said Allardyce: "It’s hard walking away now. I think the club are heading in the right direction with a hugely supportive board of directors, a great squad of players and some of the most passionate fans I’ve ever met. It’s been a privilege to have worked here for the past five months...This is the right time for me. I have no ambitions to take another job, I simply want to be able to enjoy all the things you cannot really enjoy with the 24/7 demands of managing any football club, let alone one in the Premier League."
May 24 - 5:03 AM

Manchester United defender Timothy Fosu-Mensah has made a remarkable recovery and is fit to play Crystal Palace on Sunday.

Manchester United's medical team has previously ruled the young Dutchman out until the end of the season due to a soldier injury suffered in the Manchester derby in April. However, a glimmer of hope appeared earlier this week when Mourinho said the 19 year old had a "little chance" of making the Europa League final. Fosu-Mensah's recovery has been further expedited now and his manager has confirmed that he will start in an experimental line-up on Sunday against Crystal Palace alongside Paul Pogba and a number of youngsters. Joel Pereira will start in goal while O’Hara, Mitchell, Harrop, Gomes, McTominay, Tuanzebe, Willock and Dearnley are all fighting for places in the starting XI and on the bench.
May 19 - 8:14 AM



Video Center

  •  
    Norris: Avoid Handcuffs

    Norris: Avoid Handcuffs
  •  
    Hribar: NFL Must Haves

    Hribar: NFL Must Haves
  •  
    Summerlin: Draft Strategy

    Summerlin: Draft Strategy
  •  
    Norris: NFL Must Haves

    Norris: NFL Must Haves
  •  
    Jesse: MLB Power Rankings

    Jesse: MLB Power Rankings
  •  
    Boyer: Hot Hitters

    Boyer: Hot Hitters
  •  
    Short: Waiver Wire

    Short: Waiver Wire
  •  
    Boyer: Hot Hitters

    Boyer: Hot Hitters