Miami Marlins

Miami Marlins

Player News - Marlins

Date: Team: Pos:

Marlins purchased the contract of RHP Matt Ramsey from Double-A Jacksonville.

Ramsey had an outstanding 1.47 ERA with 80 strikeouts in 61 1/3 innings this past season at the Double-A level. He is now protected from the Rule 5 Draft.
Nov 20 - 3:58 PM

Marlins purchased the contract of LHP Justin Nicolino from Double-A Jacksonville.

Nicolino was a second-round pick of the Marlins in the 2010 MLB Amateur Draft and has a strong 2.64 ERA in 497 2/3 career minor league innings. The 22-year-old left-hander could make his MLB debut in 2015.
Nov 20 - 3:56 PM

Marlins purchased the contract of RHP Domingo German from Low-A Greensboro.

Miami had to add German to the 40-man roster Thursday in order to protect him from December's Rule 5 Draft. The 22-year-old right-hander owns a promising 2.33 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, and 8.8 K/9 in 293 2/3 career minor league innings. He should at least reach Double-A in 2015.
Nov 20 - 3:54 PM

Marlins purchased the contract of LHP Adam Conley from Triple-A New Orleans.

Conley, a second-round pick in 2011, registered a 5.92 ERA, 1.56 WHIP, and 50/28 K/BB ratio in 65 1/3 innings this past season between High-A and Triple-A. He is now officially a member of Miami's 40-man roster.
Nov 20 - 3:51 PM

Marlins purchased the contract of C Austin Barnes from Double-A Jacksonville.

Barnes is now on Miami's 40-man roster and protected from selection in December's Rule 5 Draft. The 24-year-old batted .304/.398/.472 with 13 home runs and 11 stolen bases in 122 games this past season between High-A and Double-A while making appearances defensively at catcher, second base, and third base.
Nov 20 - 3:49 PM

Marlins signed INF Reid Brignac to a minor league contract.

It's unclear whether the deal includes an invitation to spring training. The 28-year-old batted .222/.300/.346 in a utility role with the Phillies this past season.
Nov 19 - 9:07 PM

Marlins and OF Giancarlo Stanton avoided arbitration by agreeing to a 13-year, $325 million contract extension with a club option for 2028.

The team made the deal official at a press conference Wednesday. Stanton's new contract is backloaded, as he'll earn $107 million in the first six years and will then have a chance to opt out. If he doesn't, he'll receive $218 million over the final seven years of the deal. The contract buys Stanton out of his final two years of arbitration and first 11 years of free agency. It's the richest deal in North American sports history.
Nov 19 - 11:11 AM

Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports that Giancarlo Stanton will make just $30 million in the first three years of his new contract.

He'll also wind up making "only" $17.83 million per season if he exercises his opt-out clause after six years. The Marlins have backloaded their deal with Stanton in order to give themselves the financial flexibility to add more contracts to the payroll. Stark says they want a middle-of-the-order bat to hit behind Stanton, with Adam LaRoche being one guy who has piqued their interest.
Source: ESPN.com
Nov 18 - 1:40 PM

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria confirmed Jon Heyman's earlier report about a 13-year, $325 million contract for Giancarlo Stanton.

"A landmark day. It means everything to the franchise," Loria told the Miami Herald by phone. "We have a face of the franchise for the next 13 years." The Herald article cites an amazing stat: Stanton's $325 million contract is more than the team has spent on its entire roster over the past five years combined ($303 million). Stanton turned 25 earlier this month. Loria also stressed that the slugger would be with the team for the duration of the contract, saying "I expect him to be a Marlin for 13 years." There will be a press conference announcing the deal on Wednesday.
Source: Miami Herald
Nov 17 - 5:26 PM

According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, the Marlins' new 13-year, $325 million contract extension with slugger Giancarlo Stanton is officially "in place."

And it'll be officially announced at some point this week, probably Wednesday or Thursday. Stanton's new contract carries a record length for a Major League Baseball player and is the largest sum of money a team has ever committed to an athlete in North American sports history. He can opt out not long after he turns 30 years old. Stanton, who turned 25 earlier this month, batted .288/.395/.555 with 37 home runs and 105 RBI in 145 games this past season for Miami.
Source: CBS Sports
Nov 17 - 10:18 AM

Marlins signed RHP Ryan Reid to a minor league contract.

The 29-year-old spent the 2014 campaign in the Mets organization, compiling a 4.91 ERA, 1.74 WHIP and 56/33 K/BB ratio over 69 2/3 innings at Triple-A Las Vegas in the offensive-rich Pacific Coast League. He's a longshot to crack the Marlins bullpen next season.
Nov 14 - 7:38 PM

Marlins signed OF Kenny Wilson to a minor league contract.

The 24-year-old outfielder slashed 246/.307/.331 slash line with two homers, 35 RBI, 31 stolen bases and a 111/31 K/BB mark over 447 at-bats in the minor league across three organizations in 2014. He'll function as organizational depth for the Fish.
Nov 14 - 7:30 PM

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Marlins are "closing in" on a 13-year, $325 million contract extension with Giancarlo Stanton.

Heyman says the contract will contain both an opt-out and a no-trade clause. Most scoffed when president of baseball operations Michael Hill said earlier this month that he hoped to ink Stanton to a long-term extension before the Winter Meetings, but owner Jeffrey Loria has opened up the pocketbook to make it happen. Stanton surely would prefer to be on a team with more stability, but he's protected himself with an opt-out clause and got a record deal in the process. The contract buys out his final two years of arbitration and first 11 years of free agency.
Nov 14 - 3:42 PM

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Marlins are "discouraged" about their chances of signing Jose Fernandez to a long-term extension.

It's not clear what kind of proposals have been exchanged so far, but it doesn't appear an extension will get done anytime soon. There's no rush, of course, as Fernandez isn't even arbitration-eligible until after next season. The young right-hander isn't expected to rejoin the Marlins' rotation until June or July as he works his way back from Tommy John surgery.
Nov 14 - 11:47 AM

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman was told by a source that extension talks between the Marlins and Giancarlo Stanton are at the "10-yard line."

Heyman says the two sides "are said to be in basic agreement on the financial terms," but "there were still said to be one or two significant non-monetary hurdles to overcome." Those two hurdles are thought to be either an opt-out or no-trade clause or possibly both. Heyman concurs with FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal's report that the contract would be in the range of 12 years and $320 million, but he says it's possible the deal could be stretched to 13 years. The Marlins have been reluctant to give no-trade clauses in the past, but it's possible they could make an exception for Stanton.
Nov 14 - 11:42 AM


Highest Searched Players over the last 7 days


Video Center

  •  
    RotoPat: Week 13 Rankings

    RotoPat: Week 13 Rankings
  •  
    Levitan: Thanksgiving options

    Levitan: Thanksgiving options
  •  
    Levitan: Week 13 start options

    Levitan: Week 13 start options
  •  
    Wednesday

    Wednesday's Fantasy Minute
  •  
    NBA 6-Pack: Tuesday

    NBA 6-Pack: Tuesday
  •  
    Levitan: Week 13 Waiver Wire

    Levitan: Week 13 Waiver Wire
  •  
    Tuesday

    Tuesday's Fantasy Minute
  •  
    Bales: Inside the Numbers

    Bales: Inside the Numbers