Player News - Mets

Date: Team: Pos:

Major League Baseball has issued a permanent suspension of Jenrry Mejia after a third positive test for a performance-enhancing drug.

It's difficult to comprehend how Mejia let this happen. The reliever previously served an 80-game suspension and was still serving a 162-game suspension for positive tests when he got caught again with Boldenone. He's the first player ever in the majors or minors to receive a lifetime ban for performance-enhancing drugs. Mejia can apply for reinstatement in one year but his suspension must last at least two years. Since there's no precedent, it's hard to know what his chances are of being reinstated. It's quite a fall for a guy who not long ago was serving as the Mets' closer.
Feb 12 - 4:50 PM

Jacob deGrom said he'd be open to signing a long-term contract with the Mets.

"I’m a little bit older so I might be more willing to do something like that,’’ said deGrom. "You just have to look at what is fair so both sides get a decent deal." DeGrom was the best starter on a team that advanced to the World Series last year but his contract doesn't expire until 2020. If the Mets do decide to lock up deGrom long-term, Madison Bumgarner's six-year, $35.56 million extension with San Francisco could be used as a blueprint.
Feb 11 - 8:38 AM

Kevin Plawecki underwent sinus surgery in December.

Plawecki said that his right sinus was completely blocked, which led to dizziness last season, especially after flights. Doctors believe that they have solved the issue, which is a relief to the young backstop. He's expected to serve as the backup in 2016, but given Travis d'Arnaud's injury history, there's always the chance he'll play a bigger role. Plawecki, who turns 25 later this month, batted .219/.280/.296 with three home runs and 21 RBI over 73 games as a rookie.
Feb 9 - 12:09 PM

Mets signed OF Roger Bernadina to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Bernadina, 31, spent last season at Triple-A with the Rockies, batting .276/.383/.466 with 15 homers and 20 steals. He can play all three outfield spots and provides the Mets with a depth option.
Feb 8 - 5:25 PM

Mets signed INF Derrik Gibson to a minor league contract.

The 26-year-old was a second-round pick of the Red Sox from the 2008 draft. He spent the 2015 season in the Orioles organization, slashing .239/.350/.292 with one homer, 13 RBI and three stolen bases in 79 games between Double-A Bowie and Triple-A Norfolk.
Feb 6 - 10:03 AM

ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the Giants have talked to Juan Uribe about a utility role, "but the salary ask has been too expensive for them."

Uribe, who turns 37 in March, had two of his most productive seasons as a Giant back in 2009 and 2010. However, he's also being pursued by the Indians and would likely be in line for quite a bit more playing time with them. Uribe sported a 253/.320/.417 batting line with 14 homers and 43 RBI last season between the Dodgers, Braves, and Mets.
Feb 5 - 4:19 PM

Wilmer Flores (ankle) said Thursday he is working out at full strength.

He also said he expects to be 100 percent for spring training. Flores suffered a non-displaced fracture of his left ankle on November 26, but the injury shouldn't hold him back when camp kicks into gear later this month. The 24-year-old is expected to be a reserve player for the Mets this year.
Feb 4 - 5:27 PM

Mets and RHP Jeurys Familia avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $4.1 million contract.

Familia wanted $4.8 million while the Mets offered $3.3 million so this is a pretty fair compromise. The 26-year-old flamethrower emerged as one of baseball's top closers last year with 43 saves out of 48 chances. He was especially dominant in the postseason, contributing a 0.61 ERA across 12 appearances. Familia is under team control through 2018.
Feb 3 - 7:04 PM

GM Sandy Alderson said the Mets plan to use a sixth starter throughout the year.

Zack Wheeler is expected to return from Tommy John surgery in July, but even before that, the Mets plan to use spot starters to keep their rotation fresh. Logan Verrett and Sean Gilmartin could both be used in this capacity, though neither one has much starting experience. Verrett made four starts last year while Gilmartin started just once. Despite the team's plan to utilize a sixth starter, Alderson said he doesn't expect any of his pitchers to be on an innings limit. That includes Steven Matz, who pitched 141 innings between the majors and minors last year.
Source: ESPN.com
Feb 3 - 4:22 PM

Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said Wednesday that he's not shopping outfielder Alejandro De Aza, but that he can foresee teams calling late in spring training.

The Mets likely had a bigger role in mind for De Aza when they signed him to a one-year, $5.75 million contract in December, but he's projected to be a fifth outfielder now that Yoenis Cespedes in back in the fold. It's not the worst thing in the world to have him around as bench depth, but he could be expendable if the right offer comes along.
Feb 3 - 2:15 PM

Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said Wednesday that Michael Conforto will play some right field in the spring.

Conforto has exclusively played left field in pro ball, but testing his versatility makes sense just in case there's an injury to Curtis Granderson. Yoenis Cespedes has never played right field in his career and is presumably more comfortable in center or left. Giving Conforto some exposure there could help maximize their lineup if necessary.
Feb 3 - 1:52 PM

Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said Wednesday that catchers Travis d'Arnaud and Kevin Plawecki could see playing time at other positions this spring.

The most logical fit is at first base, as Wilmer Flores is the only backup to Lucas Duda at this point. Plawecki has some experience at first base in the minors, but d'Arnaud's exposure there has been very limited. Still, given d'Arnaud's injury history, adding some versatility wouldn't be the worst idea.
Feb 3 - 1:43 PM

Zack Wheeler (elbow) is projected to rejoin the Mets' rotation in July.

Wheeler underwent Tommy John surgery last March and also had his flexor pronator repaired. The Mets are playing things safe with his rehab process, so he has yet to throw off a mound. "I was supposed to be on the mound the beginning of January, but the doctors have decided 15 months is the new 12 months, so they pushed me back about a month," said Wheeler. There's still a long way to go, but a return out of the All-Star break appears to be realistic. Bartolo Colon was brought back on a one-year deal over the winter and will hold down a spot in the rotation for now.
Feb 2 - 9:23 AM

ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the Indians continue to target free agent infielder Juan Uribe.

The two sides were linked about a month ago and it's still a possibility with spring training just a couple of weeks away. If the Indians were to sign Uribe, he'd likely share playing time at third base with Giovanny Urshela. Uribe turns 37 in March and batted 253/.320/.417 with 14 homers and 43 RBI in 119 games last season between the Dodgers, Braves, and Mets.
Feb 2 - 8:22 AM

Mets signed C Raywilly Gomez to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Gomez, 26, batted .291/.385/.336 with one homer at Double-A with the Angels last season. He's also played first, second and third base in addition to catcher.
Feb 1 - 4:42 PM


Highest Searched Players over the last 7 days


Video Center

  •  
    Norris on QB Carson Wentz

    Norris on QB Carson Wentz
  •  
    Norris on KSU G Cody Whitehair

    Norris on KSU G Cody Whitehair
  •  
    QB Targets: Wild Card Round

    QB Targets: Wild Card Round
  •  
    DPS: Generational Shift at QB

    DPS: Generational Shift at QB
  •  
    RB Targets: Divisional Round

    RB Targets: Divisional Round
  •  
    WR Targets: Divisional Round

    WR Targets: Divisional Round
  •  
    QB Targets: Divisional Round

    QB Targets: Divisional Round
  •  
    TE Targets: Divisional Round

    TE Targets: Divisional Round