Player News - Chargers

Date: Team: Pos:

Joey Bosa's agent said contract language and structure is holding up the No. 3 overall pick's deal.

Bosa skipped minicamp last week because of the dispute. The rookie is likely looking for more money up front and fewer offset provisions. It would be surprising if the two sides did not work something out before training camp.
Jun 20 - 11:57 AM

Chargers G/C Chris Watt is recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery.

A 2014 third-rounder, Watt is coming off an injury-ruined sophomore campaign. He's a candidate to begin camp on the active/PUP list, though "there is hope" he avoids it. If healthy, Watt will be a swing man on the interior.
Jun 16 - 9:58 PM

Chargers coach Mike McCoy said Melvin Gordon (knee) looked fully healthy at minicamp.

"Melvin has worked extremely hard this offseason. If you had seen him do the conditioning part of the program, you would have never known he was injured," said McCoy. "Very pleased with where he’s at. I’m really looking forward to him having an outstanding year." Gordon has durability flags coming off microfracture surgery, but there’s post-hype appeal with his ADP in free fall.
Jun 15 - 7:25 PM

First-round DE Joey Bosa was not present for the start of Chargers mandatory minicamp on Tuesday.

Bosa still hasn't signed his rookie contract, which is why he was allowed to skip Tuesday's session without being penalized. The No. 3 overall pick is reportedly concerned about offset language in his contract and may take a while to sign. When he finally decides to put pen to paper, Bosa is expected to start at left end opposite Corey Liuget.
Jun 14 - 12:02 PM

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Keenan Allen received $20 million fully guaranteed on his four-year extension.

The deal has a four-year, $45 million base value and can be worth as much as $49 million. Allen received a $9.5 million signing bonus. Only 24, Allen will have the opportunity to hit the market for another payday before he turns 30.
Jun 11 - 12:17 PM

Chargers signed WR Keenan Allen to a four-year extension through 2020.

The San Diego Union-Tribune's Michael Gehlken reports the deal will be "worth more than $11 million per season." With Allen set to be woefully underpaid in the final year of his rookie contract, the Chargers were smart to lock up the 24-year-old to a long-term deal. Allen was on pace for 134 catches for 1,450 yards and eight touchdowns before a lacerated kidney ended his season in Week 8. Those pace numbers are unlikely to be repeated, but he is a great bet to top 100 catches.
Jun 10 - 11:34 PM

NFL.com's Conor Orr reports the Chargers and contract-year WR Keenan Allen are discussing a four- or five-year extension.

This has been the expectation all offseason. Even though Allen is coming off an injury-shortened 2015 season, he was on pace for 134 catches for 1,450 yards and eight touchdowns before missing the final eight games of the year. Allen will command at least $10 million annually at the bare minimum on a new deal.
Source: NFL.com
Jun 6 - 8:18 PM

Chargers signed second-round TE Hunter Henry to a four-year contract.

The 2015 John Mackey Award winner as the nation's top tight end, Henry is essentially replacing Ladarius Green in San Diego's offense. Henry will begin his career backing up Antonio Gates, who is working on a two-year deal.
Jun 2 - 7:50 PM

Melvin Gordon (knee) has taken part in some team drills at Chargers OTAs.

Gordon was limited to individual work at the start of OTAs. His rehab has gone as smoothly as possible, but there’s still concern as he comes off microfracture surgery. The Chargers expect Gordon to be ready for training camp.
Jun 1 - 6:56 PM

ESPN's Eric Williams believes the Chargers want to retain contract-year ILB Manti Te'o.

The Chargers appeared to be looking towards the future when they spent a fourth-round pick on Joshua Perry and a fifth-rounder on Jatavis Brown, but Williams believes Plan A is to keep Te'o in the fold. Te'o has struggled to stay healthy since entering the league, but he reportedly lost some weight this offseason in an effort to improve his durability and play speed. With sophomore Denzel Perryman ready to take another step forward, the Chargers should have a solid inside-linebacker duo if Te'o can stay on the field.
Source: ESPN
May 30 - 10:48 AM

Chargers FB and Navy graduate Chris Swain will be eligible to play football in 2016.

Swain is graduating from the U.S. Naval Academy as a commissioned officer this week, but he has filed paperwork to begin his service as a reserve. A Navy official said that paperwork is in the final stages of authorization. Once authorized, Swain will be cleared to play football this season. The Chargers also drafted FB Derek Watt, suggesting they plan to employ more two-back looks moving forward.
May 27 - 2:49 PM

Philip Rivers said at Chargers OTAs that he believes Keenan Allen "figured out last year what it took to be a No. 1 receiver in this league."

Allen was on pace for 134 catches through Week 8 last season, before suffering a lacerated kidney on a touchdown catch against the Ravens. Allen's 2014 campaign disappointed as he struggled with conditioning, but he got his work habits in order last season and is now entering a contract year at age 24.
May 23 - 4:17 PM

Philip Rivers confirmed Matt Slauson will be the Chargers' starting center.

A guard with the Bears and Jets, Slauson has apparently picked up his pivot duties quickly. "You'd think he was playing center for all of his career," said Rivers, comparing Slauson's demeanor to ex-Chargers OL studs Kris Dielman and Nick Hardwick. With D.J. Fluker, Orlando Franklin, and King Dunlap healthy, San Diego's offensive line should take a big step forward this year.
May 23 - 4:11 PM

Melvin Gordon (microfracture) is participating in individual drills at OTAs.

Per reporter Michael Gehlken, Gordon's rehab has "gone well." He's unlikely to take part in team drills before training camp, but all reports on his rehab have been positive. He has a good shot at avoiding the active/PUP list.
May 23 - 2:39 PM

Chargers CB Brandon Flowers said he's 10-12 pounds lighter than he was at this point last year.

Flowers got complacent after signing a four-year, $36-million deal last offseason, showing up to OTAs overweight and struggling through a career-worst season. "I had a dad bod coming in last year," said Flowers. "I started off bad last year, and it just kept on going downhill." Impressed by teammate Melvin Ingram's physical transformation, Flowers got serious about his conditioning by working with Miami-based trainer David Alexander. "Last year was unacceptable," said Flowers. "I knew what kind of place I was in last year, and I just can’t go back to where I was." Flowers earned PFF's third-worst cornerback grade out of 111 qualifiers in 2015.
May 22 - 12:25 PM


Highest Searched Players over the last 7 days


Video Center

  •  
    Short: Waiver Wired 6-23

    Short: Waiver Wired 6-23
  •  
    Short: Saves & Steals

    Short: Saves & Steals
  •  
    Short: Buy, Sell or Hold?

    Short: Buy, Sell or Hold?
  •  
    Short: Waiver Wired 6-16

    Short: Waiver Wired 6-16
  •  
    Short: Saves & Steals

    Short: Saves & Steals
  •  
    Short: Waiver Wired 6-9

    Short: Waiver Wired 6-9
  •  
    Short: Buy, Sell or Hold?

    Short: Buy, Sell or Hold?
  •  
    Short: Saves & Steals

    Short: Saves & Steals