In a new regular column on Rotoworld, we reflect on the tournaments just gone and also take an early peek at the action ahead on the PGA and European Tours. Mo Yoshimoto will take a much deeper delve into what took place at TPC Sawgrass in The Takeaway.
148th OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
1. (-15, 269) Shane Lowry (Odds: 70/1; DraftKings pricing: $7,900)
2. (-9, 275) Tommy Fleetwood (Odds: 30/1; DraftKings pricing: $9,700)
3. (-7, 277) Tony Finau (Odds: 80/1; DraftKings pricing: $7,800)
4. (-6, 278) Lee Westwood (Odds: 110/1; DraftKings pricing: $7,400)
4. (-6, 278) Brooks Koepka (Odds: 11/1; DraftKings pricing: $11,400)
Notes: After three wins for Americans in the 2019 majors, we sign off with a 1-2 for Europe. Finau gets his second straight top ten in an Open while, incredibly, this is Koepka's worst finish in the majors this season. The top ten comprises four Americans, four Englishmen, a Scot and, of course, an Irishman.
Fate of the favorites
MC. (-14, 270) Rory McIlroy (Odds: 9/1; DraftKings pricing: $11,600)
4. (-17, 267) Brooks Koepka (Odds: 11/1; DraftKings pricing: $11,400)
50. (-12, 272) Dustin Johnson (Odds: 14/1; DraftKings pricing: $10,900)
11. (-15, 269) Jon Rahm (Odds: 14/1; DraftKings pricing: $10,600)
Notes: An expensive missed cut for Rory backers and it's easy to speculate where the home hero might have finished had he scraped into the weekend. A top five wouldn't have been beyond question. Koepka did his usual great job while Rahm delivered his best Open finish despite threatening more. Average stuff from DJ.
Coming up this week…
WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational
Location: TPC Southwind, Memphis. 7,244 yards, par 70.
Notes: A first WGC event for Memphis but TPC Southwind is a familiar one, staging the regular-season St. Jude Invitational for 30 years before its status was upgraded. The greens were switched to Bermuda in 2004.
Last 5 winners at TPC Southwind